"Storybook Castle...Baranow" Baranow Sandomierski by Pawtuxet

Baranow Sandomierski Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 87 photos

Step back to the 16th Century...

We were driving south from Warsaw towards my grandfather's village of Cmolas in the more southern reaches of Poland. We chose to stay at Baranow Castle, which is perhaps 17 kilometers from Cmolas and maybe 2.5 hours from Warsaw. Without Gosia having previous knowledge of this place, a traveller would be hard pressed to find it. There in the midst of quiet meadows and rural communities, you come upon Baranow.
The more modern building on the grounds houses the reception desk as well as the breakfast room, conference rooms and more modern hotel accomodations. Oh, gee -- they were heavily booked when we reserved and poor us -- we had to take a suite in the castle! With a weekend discount!
We could hardly believe it when we entered the room - so lavish and huge. We just sat and looked at it for a while. How did we manage to be so lucky? The views were either to the magnificent courtyard or to the English gardens to the north. Ahhh, let me see - how shall we choose?
If you are into castles and architecture..or taking a luxurious rest for a weekend, I would highly recommend that you stop along your way.

north toward the English gardens

Even the iron grillwork on the windows was worth a photo.

The dome in one of four towers

There are four towers, one at each corner of the castle. This one is probably the most beautifully decorated. Each one is individually styled and of course offers their own unique view. Probably part of their fortification planning.

• Pros:Wonderful study in historic architecture~romance~gardens
  • Cons:Located in an out-of-the-way place
  • In a nutshell:A feast for the eyes and the soul
  • Last visit to Baranow Sandomierski: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Hi, Janet! It's an amazing place indeed! Well done! ><><><

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Wow! did you ever get lucky with that beautiful suite. Great Castle.

• evona's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM

The castle is beautiful. Great page, Janet :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I'm going to have to rub shoulders with you, what luck! Stunning!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 6:30 AM

Holy Toledo indeed! You must have felt like a queen in this magical castle. Truly awesome architecture. I know where I will stay of I should ever visit Poland. Great page and pictures.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Oh, I love photos of these architectural touches! I take photos of the art nouveau details on, say, street lamps of Paris. That courtyard looks like it has wedding cake accoutrements!!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Wow, what a magical venue for a wedding :) Thanks for a lovely write up Janet :)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Janet, fabulous little page about this popular wedding photo place. :-)

• paulinuk2u's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM

clean air in krynica to go next time

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Always love your emphasis on architecture. What a delight, Janet! Your ability to zero in on small detail is just wonderful and something I love to read and see. I agree with Ian..quality pages!

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Baranow Sandomierski

Have you been to Baranow Sandomierski?