"A Captivating Oasis" Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny by Pawtuxet

Kazimierz Dolny Travel Guide: 254 reviews and 454 photos

Galleries,architecture,and quaint cobbled streets

Driving through the countryside on a tree lined road between Krakow and Warsaw, one comes upon Kazimierz Dolny. A lovely settlement perched beside the Vistula... remembering its past, yet enjoying a kind of renaissance with artists and tourists. Arriving on a grey day with threats of rain and a low temperature...I knew I should have chosen a different month to visit. . . but there were still a number of things to enjoy in spite of the weather. My tips will differ from those found on other VT pages which were created by summer visitors, but hopefully it will round out the picture one might have of this destination. No matter what the weather, Kazimierz Dolny should be on your list of things to see in Poland.

Somehow the church steeples are always beautiful...even in bleak weather.

Saturday Morning Market

Local farmers bring their goods to the open market in the square early in the morning. When I woke and looked out my window, the people had started streaming up the street carrying their purchases.
I asked permission to photograph this man who was selling grain and beans. He seemed flattered but said he didn't have his good clothes on for a photo. Of course that wasn't important to me...and I particularly enjoyed his blush as he posed.

• Pros:Interesting architecture, good restaurants, all accessible on foot
  • Cons:Must have cab or car from nearest public transport
  • In a nutshell:An enchanting village
  • Last visit to Kazimierz Dolny: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2006

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM

"U Dziwiaza" sounds like my cup o' tea! :D And what a beautiful folk art angel!!! Great photo of you & the dog. I, too, found the priests rushing about Paris to be fascinating as well as the Chasidic Jews in the Marais district!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Your insights are terrific! You've brought the culture, the architecture, the everyday life to all of us. It's so obvious how much you love Poland. I think the angel is beautiful! Bravo to you, Janet.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 5:50 PM

I enjoyed your tips on Poland. WE plan to go this spring . I'm wondering what month you went...and was it cold?

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Superb page! I always visit open-air markets as they are the place you find the true people! Strange St Christopher indeed! It looks like a ogre feeding on children!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Janet, apart from being a well-presented page on Kazimierz Dolny, this is yet another example of an 'out of the way' place which well merits visiting. As we have discussed before! ;-)

• Enzyme_X's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 1:43 PM

We were not too lucky with the weather :-) but still K. Dolny was one of the nicest places we've seen in Poland. I'll work more on my page, when I go there once again ;-).

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 1:50 AM

A great paqge of this great little town!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 10:09 AM

Beautifully written tips - so personal but informative, showing your sensitivity to things that might pass unnoticed by others.

• ronaldpk's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 9:10 AM

When you see a nun in Poland, you`re supposed to spit three times over the left shoulder otherwise they bring you bad luck! Isn`t that a funny superstition? Great pages! :)

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 8:56 AM

One place in Poland I haven't seen yet -- must try and go soon -- very nice page indeed, thank you.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Kazimierz Dolny

Have you been to Kazimierz Dolny?

Latest Activity in Kazimierz Dolny