"KOLBUSZOWA ~ MY HERITAGE" Kolbuszowa by Pawtuxet
Kolbuszowa Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 107 photos
THIS IS WHERE I FOUND THE FIRST TRACE OF MY FAMILY'S NAME IN MY SEARCH FOR GRANDFATHER'S VILLAGE.
Kolbuszowa serves as the business center for several villages in southeastern Poland. It's about an hour north of Rzeszow and approximately 2.5 hours drive from Krakow.
In the center of Kolbuszowa is a village green. A simple park with a small structure at its center. The business district surrounds this park. It is a quiet town where few tourists venture. We found the people helpful and hospitable.
This is the town where I found the first trace of my family's name in Poland. It was the 4th or 5th town we visited trying to sort out where my grandfather had lived. In the local cemetary we found my family's name on several grave stones...and it was great cause for celebration. That was my 2nd trip to Poland...the first time to really do any research. In 2009 I made my 5th trip to that wonderful land and I continue to discover more about my family roots each time I visit. It's beginning to feel a bit like going home when I get to Kolbuszowa now.
2014: SIXTH TRIP TO POLAND!! Of course I visited Kolbuszowa and my wonderful friends/extended family on the farm.
There are a number of Skansen villages throughout Poland. I commend them for being able to preserve their heritage in the face of mostly hard times in Poland. The Skansen villages are created by collecting houses, windmills, tools, furniture and so forth from around the surrounding area and bringing it all together to form an outdoor museum depicting the life and culture of the people who have lived there. Seeing this Skansen village, enables me to visualize how my grandfather must have lived and how the daily life must have been. It's as close as I will ever come to knowing more about his life in Cmolas and Kolbuszowa. There is a gift shop stocked with many treasures. Each time I visit I buy as much as can be crammed into my suitcase. ~ A wonderful painting by a local artist who comes to the village to do his paintings. ~ Treasures for my thoughts of Poland when I'm at home.
What a great time I had watching the family prepare home made keilbasa and smoking it. Delicious! I drove the tractor (briefly) and rode the buckboard through the fields and forests. I watched as they walked the cows to and from their fields. We sat in the corner of the kitchen and talked, ate, laughed, and compared notes. Thankfully, I have Wladek to translate for me. I speak no Polish but I feel like a native when I visit now.
Wladek, Gosia and I are like the three muskateers.....chattering, hypothesizing, planning, searching.... and laughing.
NOTE: Wladek has started his own business as a family researcher. If you need help in finding family in the Kolbuszowa area, contact me and I will put you in touch with him. He's excellent, thorough and honest. He's also available to translate and travel with you if you visit. He has been an enormous help to several people who have contacted me as well as helping me with some difficult connections in my tree.
- Pros:Peaceful, quiet, restfull, rural
- Cons:Not prepared for tourists
- In a nutshell:just a simple little country village
I am so fortunate to have a friend who is local to Kolbuszowa. He discovered a pottery studio for us to visit and I made... more travel advice
The recreation of an historic country village includes farm tools, animals, and everything needed for daily life. There... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Kolbuszowa Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kolbuszowa
- Hotels in Kolbuszowa
- Restaurants in Kolbuszowa
- Shopping in Kolbuszowa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kolbuszowa
- 25 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Kolbuszowa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolbuszowa
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: The USA Cities I should visit"
- Uploaded a Video to Kolbuszowa
- updated a Kolbuszowa Travelogue "Mechowiec"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mechowiec"
- Wrote a Review Find an artist to visit in Kolbuszowa Things to Do
- Commented on one of poreby's Kolbuszowa travel pages
Photos in KolbuszowaSee All Photos (100)
Videos in KolbuszowaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos