"KOLBUSZOWA ~ MY HERITAGE" Kolbuszowa by Pawtuxet

Kolbuszowa Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 96 photos

Simple Small town life

THIS IS WHERE I FOUND THE FIRST TRACE OF MY FAMILY'S NAME IN MY SEARCH FOR GRANDFATHER'S VILLAGE.
Kolbuszowa serves as the business center for several villages in southeastern Poland. It's about an hour north of Rzeszow and approximately 2.5 hours drive from Krakow.
In the center of Kolbuszowa is a village green. A simple park with a small structure at its center. The business district surrounds this park. It is a quiet town where few tourists venture. We found the people helpful and hospitable.
This is the town where I found the first trace of my family's name in Poland. It was the 4th or 5th town we visited trying to sort out where my grandfather had lived. In the local cemetary we found my family's name on several grave stones...and it was great cause for celebration. That was my 2nd trip to Poland...the first time to really do any research. In 2009 I made my 5th trip to that wonderful land and I continue to discover more about my family roots each time I visit. It's beginning to feel a bit like going home when I get to Kolbuszowa now.

A fascinating Skansen village

There are a number of Skansen villages throughout Poland. I commend them for being able to preserve their heritage in the face of mostly hard times in Poland. The Skansen villages are created by collecting houses, windmills, tools, furniture and so forth from around the surrounding area and bringing it all together to form an outdoor museum depicting the life and culture of the people who have lived there. Seeing this Skansen village, enables me to visualize how my grandfather must have lived and how the daily life must have been. It's as close as I will ever come to knowing more about his life in Cmolas and Kolbuszowa. There is a gift shop stocked with many treasures. Each time I visit I buy as much as can be crammed into my suitcase. ~ A wonderful painting by a local artist who comes to the village to do his paintings. ~ Treasures for my thoughts of Poland when I'm at home.

Wladek, Gosia and I are like the three muskateers.....chattering, hypothesizing, planning, searching.... and laughing.

• Pros:Peaceful, quiet, restfull, rural
  • Cons:Not prepared for tourists
  • In a nutshell:just a simple little country village
  • Last visit to Kolbuszowa: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 3:32 AM

What an exiting time for you! No wonder you want to go back all the time, I would too, fascinating!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 11:37 PM

A lovely story - the roadside shrine coincidence - your distant cousin (W) - yes, feels like coming "home" - BRAVO, Janet! If you had not done this, all would have been lost for your children!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM

You certainly get into the culture-which is what it is about. Great presentation and facts. I hope to see more of the country someday when out east

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM

~ Hi, Janet! Nice place to visit! Good for you! ><><>><

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Enjoyable updates, Janet, I enjoyed the rural atmosphere to this page. It's easy to understand the excitement for you of "tracking the family history", having done much the same. :)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Lovely page with a lot of personal touch to it. Enjoyed your descriptions of the local customs. Lovely updates and it looks as if we have a new VT member as a result of your last visit.:)

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Interesting tale of how you traced your roots in Poland. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing, Mike

• poreby's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM

The idea actually came from my sister. She heard something and told my parents. They checked everything and this place won. It was really nice to see Your happy faces.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 3:56 AM

I enjoy reading of the bucolic setting of this tiny village!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2008 at 4:15 PM

It's evident that you've given your heart to investigating your family tree, Janet. I enjoyed reading about all of your discoveries in Kolbuszowa...

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Kolbuszowa

Have you been to Kolbuszowa?

Latest Activity in Kolbuszowa