Krakow Local Custom Tips by Pawtuxet

Krakow Local Customs: 265 reviews and 324 photos

Christmas chandelier - Krakow
Christmas chandelier

I was enchanted with this primitive chandelier which hung in the gallery we visited in Kazimierz. They can also be found in the Cloth Market. There are places to put candles and each decorative piece is hand carved from wood and painted, simply but sweetly. At Cloth Market they are less expensive, but I was told they are not as well done as this one. At the gallery in Kazimierz, he will ship the piece out of country. They sell for approximately $350.00. Maybe on my next trip I'll bring one home. There will be a next trip, won't there?

Other Contact: Galerie d'Art Naif

Phone: (012)421 06 37

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Corpus Christi Procession - Krakow
Corpus Christi Procession

Throughout Poland, whether in a remote village or a major city, the religious holiday of Corpus Christi is celebrated. It is scheduled on the actual day, as opposed to the US, where we often move holidays to a Monday regardless of the date in order to give 3 day weekends. In 2009 Corpus Christi was celebrated on Thursday June 11 and we made certain we were in Krakow's beautiful square to observe the traditional procession. The day begins with a Mass at the Cathedral at Wawel Castle, which could last 2 hours with all those who come for communion. After the mass the procession begins to move throughout the square stopping at 8 different junctures for prayers, readings, and music. Children dress in traditional costumes and throw flower petals along the way in front of the sacred statues and chalice with the celebrated hosts. (communion wafers-body of Christ) There are monks, nuns, priests, and legions of others from near and far who take part in the procession. They complete the procession at a temporary outdoor alter in front of St. Mary's church at the north east corner of the square. Thousands of people crowd the square to observe, pray, or photograph the spectacle... which is a very serious observance for the Poles. I wished I could have been in two places at once so that I could have also seen the procession which took place in grandfather's little village of Kolbuszowa, but I'm very glad I was able to see the beauty and elegance of the people here in Krakow on that wonderful sunny day. Gosia tells me it usually rains on that holiday, but the rain didn't come until later in the afternoon, so everyone was happily sunburned.
Hopefully you will be as fortunate to be able to observe one of these magnificent processions one day.
I have so many photos of the procession that I will do at least one Travelogue of photos...which I hope you will review and enjoy.

• Written Jul 9, 2009
Wawel Castle's Dragon - Krakow

Wawel Castle's Dragon

Dragon of the Castle

There is a legend about a dragon at Wawel Castle. The story is told in children's books and there are replicas of the dragon throughout the castle grounds. Pictured here (from a post card) is the detailing of a rain gutter at the roof line. Rain water travels along the gutter,then thru the mouth of the dragon. On the day we arrived the dragons were very busy carrying torrential rain from the roof of the castle to the floor of the courtyard.
Dragons are a theme we see throughout Krakow.

Joanna (here with my daughter in yellow jacket) was another pen pal I wrote to in advance of visiting Poland. She hooked up with us in Krakow, where she lives and works. She was a fun guide and very enthusiastic about her "town".

We depended on my pen pal Gosia, from Warsaw, to fill us in on every nuance of Polish society along the way. Here we see the classic Gosia pointing out another pearl of knowledge from her vast collection of information...cigarette in hand, ALWAYS. We loved this woman. What a treasure she has been for us.

I would have to say that the LOCAL CUSTOM that stands out to me the most in Poland is the people and their tireless enthusiasm to help you. I find them very "giving" people.

• Updated Jul 7, 2009

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Krakow