Krakow Local Custom Tips by Pawtuxet
Krakow Local Customs: 265 reviews and 324 photos
I was enchanted with this primitive chandelier which hung in the gallery we visited in Kazimierz. They can also be found in the Cloth Market. There are places to put candles and each decorative piece is hand carved from wood and painted, simply but sweetly. At Cloth Market they are less expensive, but I was told they are not as well done as this one. At the gallery in Kazimierz, he will ship the piece out of country. They sell for approximately $350.00. Maybe on my next trip I'll bring one home. There will be a next trip, won't there?
Other Contact: Galerie d'Art Naif
Phone: (012)421 06 37
Throughout Poland, whether in a remote village or a major city, the religious holiday of Corpus Christi is celebrated. It is scheduled on the actual day, as opposed to the US, where we often move holidays to a Monday regardless of the date in order to give 3 day weekends. In 2009 Corpus Christi was celebrated on Thursday June 11 and we made certain we were in Krakow's beautiful square to observe the traditional procession. The day begins with a Mass at the Cathedral at Wawel Castle, which could last 2 hours with all those who come for communion. After the mass the procession begins to move throughout the square stopping at 8 different junctures for prayers, readings, and music. Children dress in traditional costumes and throw flower petals along the way in front of the sacred statues and chalice with the celebrated hosts. (communion wafers-body of Christ) There are monks, nuns, priests, and legions of others from near and far who take part in the procession. They complete the procession at a temporary outdoor alter in front of St. Mary's church at the north east corner of the square. Thousands of people crowd the square to observe, pray, or photograph the spectacle... which is a very serious observance for the Poles. I wished I could have been in two places at once so that I could have also seen the procession which took place in grandfather's little village of Kolbuszowa, but I'm very glad I was able to see the beauty and elegance of the people here in Krakow on that wonderful sunny day. Gosia tells me it usually rains on that holiday, but the rain didn't come until later in the afternoon, so everyone was happily sunburned.
Hopefully you will be as fortunate to be able to observe one of these magnificent processions one day.
I have so many photos of the procession that I will do at least one Travelogue of photos...which I hope you will review and enjoy.
Wawel Castle's Dragon
There is a legend about a dragon at Wawel Castle. The story is told in children's books and there are replicas of the dragon throughout the castle grounds. Pictured here (from a post card) is the detailing of a rain gutter at the roof line. Rain water travels along the gutter,then thru the mouth of the dragon. On the day we arrived the dragons were very busy carrying torrential rain from the roof of the castle to the floor of the courtyard.
Dragons are a theme we see throughout Krakow.
Joanna (here with my daughter in yellow jacket) was another pen pal I wrote to in advance of visiting Poland. She hooked up with us in Krakow, where she lives and works. She was a fun guide and very enthusiastic about her "town".
We depended on my pen pal Gosia, from Warsaw, to fill us in on every nuance of Polish society along the way. Here we see the classic Gosia pointing out another pearl of knowledge from her vast collection of information...cigarette in hand, ALWAYS. We loved this woman. What a treasure she has been for us.
I would have to say that the LOCAL CUSTOM that stands out to me the most in Poland is the people and their tireless enthusiasm to help you. I find them very "giving" people.
More Reviews (50)
- See All Krakow's Cloth Market - what's not to...
- See All Something quick and inexpensive
- See All Explore Polish...
- See All Ratusz ~ The old Town Hall
- See All A taste of Poland-special gingerbread
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Krakow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of Europe and Poland"
- "Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland"
- "Krakow: Rome in Poland."
- "Krakow ~ Everybody's Favourite!"
- "WELCOME TO KRAKOW"
- "EUROMEET IN KRAKOW POLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krakow
- Hotels in Krakow
- Transportation in Krakow
- Nightlife in Krakow
- Restaurants in Krakow
- Shopping in Krakow
- Warnings and Dangers in Krakow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krakow
- 53 Reviews
- 193 Photos
- 53 Forum posts
- 130 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Krakow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krakow
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: TRAIN OR PLANE FROM WARSAW TO..."
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's Krakow travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Explore Polish culture-native(naive/primitive) art"
- updated a Krakow Travel Page "WELCOME TO KRAKOW"
- Wrote a Review Krakow's Cloth Market - what's not to like? about The Market Square (Rynek Glowny) in Krakow Favorites
Photos in KrakowSee All Photos (193)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
- Wawel Castle- 340 Reviews, 525 Photos
- Auschwitz- 107 Reviews, 247 Photos
- Jewish Quarter - Kazimierz- 158 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Market Square - Rynek Glowny- 159 Reviews, 261 Photos
- Wieliczka Salt Mine- 69 Reviews, 172 Photos
- St. Mary's Church- 128 Reviews, 235 Photos
- St. Florian's Gate and the Barbican- 112 Reviews, 179 Photos
- Cloth Hall - Sukiennice- 84 Reviews, 142 Photos
- Church of Saints Peter & Paul- 35 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Town Hall - Ratusz- 45 Reviews, 65 Photos
See All Krakow Things to Do