"The Teutonic Castle of Marlbork" Top 5 Page for this destination Malbork by Pawtuxet

Malbork Travel Guide: 260 reviews and 507 photos

A Unique Feature on the UNESCO World Heritage List

One of the biggest fortresses in Europe, the Teutonic Knights Castle plays host to a half million visitors a year. We were on the train travelling to Gdansk, so we got a very quick view of it as we were approaching our destination. The castle was started in 1274 , if you can wrap your head around that one. It has a long history of being occupied by a variety of conquorers...and then it was heavily damaged by war...but restored in 1961 after years of work to bring it back to what you see today.
IF YOU TRAVEL BY CAR TO GDANSK, YOU SHOULD TRY TO MAKE THE STOP AT MARLBORK FOR A VISIT TO YET ANOTHER WORLD HERITAGE LIST SITE IN POLAND.

• Pros:Spectacular architecture
  • Last visit to Malbork: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2006

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2013 at 3:54 AM

The castle looks impressive! Too bad you hadn't got time to stop and visit. I will definitely make a day tip to Malbork when I visit Gdansk.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Nov 24, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I'm really looking forward to visit. I will visit in the beginning of January, so it is not high season, but I have checked and the castle will be open 5 hours during the days.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Nov 26, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Wonderful! January will be very cold, but the magnificence of the castle will warm you. Have fun!

• evona's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Next time... Greetings :)

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Great pics from the train, Janet. Looks like a fascinating place and HUGE!!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Hi, Janet! I'd love to visit too...

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 12:00 PM

The Teutonic Knights Castle looked intriguing--I would have loved to have heard about its history and actually tour it's interior. A leisurely walk throughout the grounds would be great!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 6:44 AM

I love castles and fortresses.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 8:35 PM

This is another superb castle !

• ronaldpk's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Beautiful pictures from East Prussia - my childhood's background! I wonder if you had to chance to visit Swieta Lipka (Heilige Linde) where I used to go with my parents. East Prussia is an undiscovered European gem!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 12:13 PM

wow, what a great castle, good to see that so many of them have survived in Poland !

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 8:37 AM

I'm reallly annoyed now, because I didn't mange to spot this from the train. Must have been looking from the other side.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Malbork

Have you been to Malbork?

Latest Activity in Malbork