"Sandomierz...it's HOW old !!????" Sandomierz by Pawtuxet

Sandomierz Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 137 photos

Walking back across the cobblestones of history...

Sandomierz is a delightful little town along the old trade routes south of Warsaw yet north of Krakow and Rzeszow. Once part of the major trade route from western Europe to Russia and further east, it's history dates to around 800. Much of what we see today is from the 1300's, 1500's, and 1600's. There are 120 historic buildings which are preserved and well loved in this little town.
There are remnants of the town's old fortifications in the gothic gateway erected in the 14th century and a smaller gate known as the "needle's eye". You might wish to visit the main gate and climb to enjoy the views of the town, countryside and Vistula River from the top of the tower.
Sandomierz has a castle built of stone which has been rebuilt after wars and now serves as a Regional Museum They graciously wave the admission on Mondays.
There is a Granary built in 1696, which is the only remnant of Sandomierz's past as a port on the Vistula.
We toured one of the several wonderful churches in town. The Cathedral sits on the grounds of a church built in 1148 and destroyed in Mongolian raids. The interiors of today's gothic building are amazing. There are rococo altars, paintings produced in 1421, and porticoes of black marble decorated with pink marble. You could study the collections here for hours.
In 1367 King Kazimierz Wielki gave special privilege granting royal protection to the Jewish community here. They had the second biggest in Poland, after the one in Krakow. Their synogogue, built in the 17th century now houses a branch of the State Archives.
One of the oldest schools in Poland, the Jesuit College (Collegium Gostomianum) was founded in 1602. Demolished by fires in previous centuries, several features were rescued and the school has been rebuilt. It is now an active college once again.
And finally, there is an old mansion c. 1476 which I will probably never forget. We wanted to visit a house of this age, which is of course rare. However, it's what happened while we were in the house that permanantly ingrains this place in my mind. It's the House of Dlugosz, currently owned by the Diocese as a museum. I hope you will enjoy my stories of our experience here...as told in several of my tips and travelogue. Antoni Rzasa ~ Coincidence or karma?]

You come to see the architecture...

It is always astounding to me that the Poles don't just give up on a building when it's been burned or bombed...they come back again and again to restore it exactly as it was before the tragedies and destruction. How I wish this was a more prevailing characteristic in the US where we have so little of our early buildings. The workmanship in the restoration is quite noteworthy. I hope you will one day have an opportunity to observe it all first hand.

Students appear to enjoy their studies

We saw a number of art students working on their projects all around the town. Such wonderful material for subjects...what art student wouldn't be happy with this town?

• Pros:A vibrant little town with wonderful enthusiasm
  • Cons:You have to search a bit to find it
  • In a nutshell:Cobblestones, sunshine, music, architecture, traces of my family
  • Last visit to Sandomierz: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2006

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Never heard of the place, thanks for sharing. Cheers, Ian

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Mar 26, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Thanks for visiting my Sandomierz page. I love introducing people to parts of Poland which have been little known by most. Sandomierz is a beautiful little town.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Sandomierz seems well worth a visit. So thanks for the glimpse.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Love all the charming architecture in Sandomierz. Looks like you had a wonderful time there. Enjoyed your detail tips too!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 2:34 AM

Your love for Poland shines through- and I can understand why. Sandomierz looks absolutely charming, love the windowboxes, architecture and the restaurants look inviting too. Interesting about Antoni Rzasa. His work is brilliant. Great photos & tips.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Last time I visited Sandomierz was with a school trip years ago. Thank you for reminding me how beautiful it is. The feather story sounds most uncanny indeed.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM

My Sandomierz page is still waiting to be written. In the meantime I enjoyed reading yours. Well done!

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 4:19 AM

Wow, what a fascinating connection to your family, to come across the artist Antoni Rzasa! And further proof the universe is helping you out with the gift of a feather at your feet. Man!! I LOVE sundials on the sides of bldgs! :)

• 68maciek's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 2:38 AM

You did a great job here! Once you should visit also Koprzywnica, Opatow, Kurozweki, Ujazd.It's also on the way to Lublin and Zamosc.

• Jul 7, 2008 at 3:25 PM

The costumed characters mentioned in your local customs tip are right up my alley. I love unordinary people & things. This is one of my motivations for travel.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM

What a beautiful place! The Antoni Rzasa are superb I like them! Another of your pages that make me feel like visiting Poland!

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Sandomierz

Have you been to Sandomierz?

Latest Activity in Sandomierz