Rhode Island Sports & Outdoors Tips by Pawtuxet Top 5 Page for this destination
Rhode Island Sports & Outdoors: 10 reviews and 14 photos
docks at Brick Market
Rhode Island is known as "The Ocean State" and of course, Newport has long been the home of so many sailors ...of all sorts and ages...and income levels....
With a back yard like Narragansett Bay and Long Island Sound.... who wouldn't want to get out there? I wanted to jump aboard that day...but well, maybe another time. Look at that water....perfect!
TUNE IN TO MY NEWPORT PAGE FOR MORE ON THE MANSIONS, MARINE, ARCHITECTURE, GREAT SHOPPING AND THE CHURCH OF JACKIE & JOHN F. KENNEDY'S MARRIAGE
Rhode Island hosted the International Jumping Competitions for the Army and National Guard of several countries in Kingston today. Just around the corner from the University of Rhode Island is a great field, which I believe is part of a turf farm. All sorts of trucks, tents and displays were set up and jumpers came from many countries to compete...all wearing their fatigues and flag patches of their country.
They jumped at low levels on static lines and aimed for a very small target on the ground. When they landed they had to collapse their chute and run to the target....being timed as to how many seconds from the target they landed. Some made it right on the target, but it isn't as easy as it looks and their chutes aren't the real "drivers" that sports parachutists use. It was a gorgeous day with very little wind....which the guys were probably wishing for some of the time when they were trying to travel toward the target and there just wasn't enough wind to carry them over.
Everybody seemed to enjoy it..and I heard them talking about meeting up to grap a bus to Newport for the evening. Think they had a dinner and whatever...the rest of the night.
My husband was interested in the hanging device they had for the chutes so they could quickly pack them and turn them back in at a central tent for re-packing later.
At the end of the day there was a group who jumped with the rectangular chutes from 12,000 ft. and of course, they could drive them much easier and ... make stand up landings.
Wouldn't it be funny if I took a pic of one of the men from Bolivia, Germany or Uraguay and someone on VT recognized them?
Directions: Rte 110 off Rte 138 just west of the University of Rhode Island
We don't have what you could call mountains in Rhode Island, but there are some interesting old rock formations here and there. See my other tip on hiking for info on Ken Weber's book which is handy to take on the trail and a full description of what you will find along the way. Much of the terrain is very old virgin land... with remnants of stone mills, markers, walls, and early monuments.
There are some wonderful nature trails in Rhode Island. They are marked so it is easy to make the loop and not get lost. Many interesting sights along the way. There are trails with rock formations as well as water elements. There is a very good guide book you can find in a local book store. It's titled, "25 Walks in Rhode Island". It was written by Ken Weber, who did regular articles about nature for the statewide newspaper over the years. The trails are scattered all over the state and have varying characteristics. Weber's book is good to carry along because he points out things you should be aware of and look for along the trails. Highly recommended for those who enjoy nature walks. The length of the trail is noted at each chapter and has an estimate of time to walk it. Very handy when planning your day and the strenuousness of the hike.
Me and Azzie
The VESPA is the hottest new thing in our little village. I just got one for my husband for his birthday. I'm still a little shy of it. It's much heavier than I expected. They are a lot of fun, tho. Now we can fancy ourselves on the streets of Rome!! :-)
More Reviews (33)
- See All Valentine Whitman House Interiors
- See All Part II Historic houses on a fall day
- See All Ck. out the Navy & Seabees...
- See All Warren... rediscovered
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Rhode Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rhode Island- the smallest state W/ BIG SURPRISES"
- "Rhode Island"
- "Little Rhody"
- "A Small State with a Big State of Mind:)"
- "Rhode Island: The Ocean State"
- "frankcanfly's Rhode Island Page"
- "The Ocean State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rhode Island
- Hotels in Rhode Island
- Transportation in Rhode Island
- Nightlife in Rhode Island
- Restaurants in Rhode Island
- Shopping in Rhode Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Rhode Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rhode Island
- 320 Reviews
- 826 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 19 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Rhode Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhode Island
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: Krakow Airport ATM's"
- Commented on one of DennyP's Rhode Island travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Homey alternative to hotels and Residence Inn"
- Wrote a Review Valentine Whitman House Interiors in Rhode Island Local Customs
- updated a Rhode Island Travel Page "Rhode Island- the smallest state W/ BIG SURPRISES"
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues