"Rhode Island- the smallest state W/ BIG SURPRISES" Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island by Pawtuxet
Rhode Island Travel Guide: 1,408 reviews and 3,519 photos
In Rhode Island we tend to identify with our villages and small towns moreso than our city or county...as many other states do. Our environment is quite varied for such a small state, in that we still have communities where there are long stretches of woodlands , yet in twnety minutes you can generally get to a wonderful salt water beach . Even the waterfront varies from sand & surf , to grasses and marshes to rocky shores...even small cliffs . We tend to do a lot of small local seasonal events from art festivals, fall festivals, holiday strolls, historic open houses, concerts in parks, and cross country skiing in the snow. Sailing is big and we have many marinas with power boats as well. Ethnic restaurants are plentiful and the colleges and universities are numerous. They, of course bring us a host of cultural and athletic actiivies as well as educational opportunities. The list goes on and on. You would have to come and stay a while to catch on to all the various things happening throughout the state at all seasons of the year.
I'll list a few and give you links to my other pages to explore each of our sweet little towns in more depth. Hope you'll come to visit soon. One of the tourisms' ad lines was that "It's the biggest little state in the union!"
The capitol city of Providence has the most wonderful architecture and a huge collection of historic buildings and sites. There are several schools including Ivy League Brown University. Rhode Island School of Design brings talent from around the world. The city is quite diverse, which means great restaurants. City and state planners relocated the rivers and created a park through the middle of the city...then a local artist created WATER FIRES. Thousands come for those nights..outdoor cafes, mimes, enchanting music from speakers on the river's walls, and the smell of the smoke. It's mesmorizing! The gondola was made in Italy..you might imagine yourself in Venice on these nights. Very romantic.
Sail into NEWPORT , do the theaters and restaurants of Providence , wander lazily through Wickford , experience Gaspee Days or a historic house tour in Pawtuxet Village (say hello to Janet, VT's 'Pawtuxet', or check out the Colt State Park in Bristol.... whatever you do, you'll be charmed, I'm certain. We have so many little remarkable villages throughout our state.... each with their own personality...I'm sure you'll want to come back for more.
Did I forget to mention Block Island ? And what about Galilee ? Too many to describe here... check out my list of pages to find more.
Let me know when you're coming!
Relaxing visit to the vineyard...
Christopher and Karen have chosen their wines at the Sakonnet Vineyard. Outside tables overlooking the vineyard create a pleasant spot to have lunch in the warmer months. There are picnic tables further down near the parking lot. I always let my dog run around. We sometimes bring some bread, cheese, and fruit - spending some time with our wine purchases before driving home. They now serve light lunches to accompany your purchase of wine.
- Pros:Diverse in architecture, activities, landscape, ethnic composition
- Cons:Not enough time to find all the little hidden corners
- In a nutshell:Rhode Island is a miniature treasure.
The costumed guide was very enthusiastic in explaining the donations to the house and how the families used it over the... more travel advice
Next stop was our favorite...the Arnold House. It is owned by Historic New England. It was built in the 1600's and is... more travel advice
- See All Ck. out the Navy & Seabees...
- See All Warren... rediscovered
- See All International Jumping competition
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Rhode Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rhode Island- the smallest state W/ BIG SURPRISES"
- "Rhode Island"
- "Little Rhody"
- "A Small State with a Big State of Mind:)"
- "Rhode Island: The Ocean State"
- "frankcanfly's Rhode Island Page"
- "The Ocean State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rhode Island
- Hotels in Rhode Island
- Transportation in Rhode Island
- Nightlife in Rhode Island
- Restaurants in Rhode Island
- Shopping in Rhode Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Rhode Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rhode Island
- 321 Reviews
- 808 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Rhode Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhode Island
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: TRAIN OR PLANE FROM WARSAW TO..."
- Commented on one of Jim_Eliason's Rhode Island tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Homey alternative to hotels and Residence Inn"
- Wrote a Review Valentine Whitman House Interiors in Rhode Island Local Customs
- updated a Rhode Island Travel Page "Rhode Island- the smallest state W/ BIG SURPRISES"
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos