"Rhode Island- the smallest state W/ BIG SURPRISES" Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island by Pawtuxet

Rhode Island Travel Guide: 1,408 reviews and 3,519 photos

A collection of little pearls

In Rhode Island we tend to identify with our villages and small towns moreso than our city or county...as many other states do. Our environment is quite varied for such a small state, in that we still have communities where there are long stretches of woodlands , yet in twnety minutes you can generally get to a wonderful salt water beach . Even the waterfront varies from sand & surf , to grasses and marshes to rocky shores...even small cliffs . We tend to do a lot of small local seasonal events from art festivals, fall festivals, holiday strolls, historic open houses, concerts in parks, and cross country skiing in the snow. Sailing is big and we have many marinas with power boats as well. Ethnic restaurants are plentiful and the colleges and universities are numerous. They, of course bring us a host of cultural and athletic actiivies as well as educational opportunities. The list goes on and on. You would have to come and stay a while to catch on to all the various things happening throughout the state at all seasons of the year.
I'll list a few and give you links to my other pages to explore each of our sweet little towns in more depth. Hope you'll come to visit soon. One of the tourisms' ad lines was that "It's the biggest little state in the union!"

HISTORIC PROVIDENCE

The capitol city of Providence has the most wonderful architecture and a huge collection of historic buildings and sites. There are several schools including Ivy League Brown University. Rhode Island School of Design brings talent from around the world. The city is quite diverse, which means great restaurants. City and state planners relocated the rivers and created a park through the middle of the city...then a local artist created WATER FIRES. Thousands come for those nights..outdoor cafes, mimes, enchanting music from speakers on the river's walls, and the smell of the smoke. It's mesmorizing! The gondola was made in Italy..you might imagine yourself in Venice on these nights. Very romantic.

NEWPORT-LITTLE COMPTON-WICKFORD-PAWTUXET-BRIST0L

Sail into NEWPORT , do the theaters and restaurants of Providence , wander lazily through Wickford , experience Gaspee Days or a historic house tour in Pawtuxet Village (say hello to Janet, VT's 'Pawtuxet', or check out the Colt State Park in Bristol.... whatever you do, you'll be charmed, I'm certain. We have so many little remarkable villages throughout our state.... each with their own personality...I'm sure you'll want to come back for more.
Did I forget to mention Block Island ? And what about Galilee ? Too many to describe here... check out my list of pages to find more.
Let me know when you're coming!

Relaxing visit to the vineyard...
Christopher and Karen have chosen their wines at the Sakonnet Vineyard. Outside tables overlooking the vineyard create a pleasant spot to have lunch in the warmer months. There are picnic tables further down near the parking lot. I always let my dog run around. We sometimes bring some bread, cheese, and fruit - spending some time with our wine purchases before driving home. They now serve light lunches to accompany your purchase of wine.

• Pros:Diverse in architecture, activities, landscape, ethnic composition
  • Cons:Not enough time to find all the little hidden corners
  • In a nutshell:Rhode Island is a miniature treasure.
  • Last visit to Rhode Island: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 6, 2008

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Janet, really like this page! It really makes me want to visit Rhode Island again and visit all these terrific places!

• Veroali's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 3:16 AM

You live in such a beautiful place! The water fire looks magical and you have there interesting local customs. Thanks for showing your hometown

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Ahhh, the (life is too short to drink cheap) wine was indeed excellent in Traben-Trarbach. ;o) But my first landlords in Germany remain my fondest memory. Thanks for visiting! Cheers, Mark

• shawnT's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

GREAT tips! I wish I would have know this last summer when i moved here. I will definately will be coming back in May! I want to see the vineyards !

• pabertra's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2008 at 6:39 AM

Janet~What a wonderful corner of the world to call home! I really hope I can make it to the northeast sometime soon! Best, Paige

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Lucerne is indeed a beautiful city to visit and it deserves another visit, hopefully I can get there soon. Thanks for stopping by!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 5:26 AM

Hi, Janet! Roger Williams Park looks really very attractive and peaceful... Very nice pitures! Thanks.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2008 at 5:44 AM

An interesting return visit to your page on what looks a really pleasant place, Janet. I'm always fascinated by those historical displays - not to mention the historic houses.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2008 at 11:53 AM

My husband and I just love visiting historic houses--Rhode Island sure has its share of them! How nice to be able to see how the old crafts were done, as well...sounds like a great day, Janet!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Great new travelogue. Unique is the word I would use to describe the event. Loved the photos. Janet, what an enjoyable show. Indeed, the flowers were beautiful and mood provoking. Some clever ideas.

Pawtuxet Lives Here!

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Rhode Island

Have you been to Rhode Island?