"New Jersey ---- still exploring....." New Jersey by Pawtuxet
New Jersey Travel Guide: 3,839 reviews and 7,382 photos
MT. TABOR is a Victorian settlement which was founded as a Methodist Camp Ground in 1869. In the beginning, worshippers stayed on assigned tent lots and the retreat lasted about 10 days during the summer. It was so popular that it developed into a full summer program...small gingerbread houses were built on the tiny tent lots. Later the homes became year round residences individually owned...but the land is leased from the Society which they are all members of. It's a fascinating place to visit. I'm still trying to establish why each of these settlements (there are a number of them in the country) all seem to build octagonal meeting houses. In fact, Mt. Tabor has 3 octagon buildings. We did the house tour which included an excellent Quilt Exhibit as well as other entertainments. This will definately require Travelogues to give you the whole story. The HOUSE TOUR happens every year.
Madison, New Jersey is a sweet little town about 3/4's of an hour outside of New York City. The Erie Lacawana Railroad (a little old fashioned looking train) services the area for commuters. The town is clean and well planned. There is a nice assortment of shops and services. Housing stock is quite expensive due to the proximity to NYC.
This wonderful stone building has found a new use as a museum just at the beginning of the business district.
Madison is the home of Drew University (my daughter's alma mater) as well as Farley Dickinson and Rutgers.
My son and his wife have a home in East Hanover. We enjoy visiting and exploring various places around New Jersey that we've never seen before. Australia loves Christopher's big grassy back yard. She can't wait to get out of the car after the long ride and RUN!! Then everyone settles in around the patio and porch to bask in the sunshine together. Very relaxing weekends.
First thing you know we're out pounding the sidewalks of Madison, Morristown, or other fun spots along the way.
- Pros:Interesting hidden pockets to discover
- Cons:Zillions of freeways...yuk! too much traffic
- In a nutshell:Love to discover these nifty "finds" w/ Chris & wife
Fosterfields is a couple of hundred acres with several buildings which were donated to the Morristown County Park... more travel advice
Jockey Hollow's feature farmhouse has a perfect herb garden with markers telling you about the herb and its medicinal... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
New Jersey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "The Best of New Jersey!"
- "b1bob's New Jersey adventures: a work in progress"
- "NEW JERSEY POTPOURRI"
- "NEW JERSEY"
- "“We’ve all come to look for America”"
- "New Jersey ---- still exploring....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Jersey
- Hotels in New Jersey
- Transportation in New Jersey
- Nightlife in New Jersey
- Restaurants in New Jersey
- Shopping in New Jersey
- Warnings and Dangers in New Jersey
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in New Jersey
- 21 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to New Jersey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Jersey
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum ""
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's New Jersey tips
- Wrote a Review Visit a Living History Farm ~ FOSTERFIELDS in New Jersey Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit a Living History Farm ~ FOSTERFIELDS"
- updated a New Jersey Travel Page "New Jersey ---- still exploring....."
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 166 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 128 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
Top New Jersey hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- 466 Reviews - 913 Photos
- Wildwood Hotels
- 151 Reviews - 229 Photos
- Wildwood Crest Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Cape May Hotels
- 288 Reviews - 488 Photos
- West Atlantic City Hotels
- 1 Review
- Secaucus Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 11 Photos
- South Hackensack Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Jersey City Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 183 Photos
- Newark Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 141 Photos
- Weehawken Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Monmouth Beach Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos
- Freehold Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Absecon Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Basking Ridge Hotels
- 1 Review
- Morristown Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 14 Photos