"POLAND ~ my maternal roots" Poland by Pawtuxet
Poland Travel Guide: 17,261 reviews and 45,830 photos
This was a trip to find my family roots. We travelled from Warsaw to Czestochowa, Pajeczsno, Krakow, Rzeszow, and Kolubusowa...where I eventually found my family's parish and cemetary. Because of the intent of the trip, we saw a different side of Poland than the average tourist. It was great. Everyone was so helpful. My pen pal from Warsaw was amazing, travelling with us most of the way. My photograph collection is quite large..including city views, farmlands, and portraits of such sweet people. I am filled with very happy memories. - 2001
Another trip in 2003 brought me to grandfather's village...at last. Documentation of their lives, marriage, and birth of my uncle were all there in a tiny hamlet of CMOLAS.
After leaving in 2003, we discovered that grandfather's church had not been destroyed, but in fact had been moved! It was still standing about 3 - 5 km. down the road.
Back I went in 2006 to find that precious 1600's church...with the help (once again) of Gosia. It's a fascinating building and story behind it. Took us a bit of detective work to figure it all out, but we did. Hope you will visit my pages to enjoy this early wall painting and beautiful statuary.
2009 Another visit to Poland A meeting with pen pal of 3 yrs. from VT... reunion w/ dear friend, Gosia, and brought along 2 sisters to find their roots in my grandfather's villages. Corpus Christi Procession when we got back to Krakow ~ so many fabulous days.....
Of course at each visit I took the opportunity to see many other towns, cities and museums and cafes and on and on and on....
I offer you links (soon) to each of the wonderful places I have been so fortunate to explore.
Don't miss an interesting karmic story on my Sandomierz page Sandomierz ~ It's HOW old !!???
My family's home town, Cmolas
Poreby Dymarskie = Grandfather's church found ! A day on the farm...
Up to Zakopane ~ a personal discovery
Storybook castle in Baranow
Summer playground of Sopot
A quick look at Marlbork
Ancient Tarnow - a brief stop
Connecting in Rzeszow
A MUST SEE.... Stunning GDANSK
Krakow is probably the most elaborate city in Poland....with its Wawel Castle, and the Cloth Market Square... lovely architecture and great shops, cafes, and the Jagellonian University. So much to see and corners to explore. It's a marked contrast to the country towns dotting the agricultural green belt of the country.
I've been in awe of the Polish people in their devotion to their faith. These little homemade shrines are pure examples of folk art... but more than that...they are markers of an unshaken faith throughout invasions and partitions and suppression. You find them along the country roads where farmers are unable to get to the local church often enough and wish to stop a while to pray. Don't miss them. And don't miss the underlying story they represent.
- Pros:Historic, natural, pure, layered in charming culture
- Cons:Never enough time to learn all of it
- In a nutshell:Did you know I love Poland? ~ It is the roots of my mother's family
Here I have collected a number of photos of the lovely heating units used in Poland. Of course they have more modern... more travel advice
Just north of Kolbuszowa we came upon a section where the homes were slightly different from what we had been seeing.... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Poland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paul's Poland Page"
- "Between East and West .... in central Europe"
- "Sharrie's Poland Life-force"
- "Republic of Poland"
- "Countless reasons to Fall in Love...."
- "Poland - I wouldn't like to live somewhere else"
- "Why don't you come to Poland?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poland
- Hotels in Poland
- Transportation in Poland
- Nightlife in Poland
- Restaurants in Poland
- Shopping in Poland
- Warnings and Dangers in Poland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Poland
- 269 Reviews
- 821 Photos
- 187 Forum posts
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Poland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poland
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
Top Poland hotels
- Krakow Hotels
- 4456 Reviews - 10366 Photos
- Warsaw Hotels
- 2979 Reviews - 7180 Photos
- Gdansk Hotels
- 1179 Reviews - 3544 Photos
- Wroclaw Hotels
- 813 Reviews - 2158 Photos
- Zakopane Hotels
- 356 Reviews - 850 Photos
- Katowice Hotels
- 214 Reviews - 491 Photos
- Szczecin Hotels
- 304 Reviews - 1138 Photos
- Lublin Hotels
- 185 Reviews - 450 Photos
- Bialystok Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 188 Photos
- Poznan Hotels
- 344 Reviews - 921 Photos
- Sopot Hotels
- 144 Reviews - 388 Photos
- Bydgoszcz Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 131 Photos
- Torun Hotels
- 251 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Czestochowa Hotels
- 113 Reviews - 279 Photos
- Lodz Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 463 Photos