"Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Escalante by worldtrekker
Escalante Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 82 photos
This is the United States' newest national monument. The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument was established by Presidential Proclaimation in the Fall of 1996. Approximately 1.9 million acres roughly encompasses the drainages of the Paria and Escalante Rivers. The monument is under the supervision of the United States Bureau of Land Management. It is arguably the least developed of the Parks and Monuments in the 48 contiguous states. For the visitor this means spectacular scenery, but no services and, for the most part, unpaved roads. It is absolutely critical for anyone visiting the monument to get local, current information. You can just drive through this National Monument on your way between Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef National Parks, but if you stop and explore a bit, you'll be way off the beaten path! Photo: On the 2.75 mile trail to Lower Calf Creek Falls, July '99.
Hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls. To get there drive to the BLM campground which is about 15 miles east of the town of... more travel advice
Drive Highway 12 and/or 89 through the monument. The scenery is breathtaking in all directions. Photo: A view from just... more travel advice
worldtrekker's Related Pages
Escalante Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life at the End of the Road"
- "Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument"
- "Escalante is in an Enormous Wide Open Territory."
- "Escalante In the Grand Staircase"
- "gtmwander's Escalante Page"
- "mafootje's new Escalante Page"
- "Escalante, a different way seeing petrified wood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Escalante
- Hotels in Escalante
- Transportation in Escalante
- Restaurants in Escalante
- Shopping in Escalante
- Warnings and Dangers in Escalante
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Escalante
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Escalante?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Escalante
Photos in EscalanteSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 56 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyder Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seward Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Everglades National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moab Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos