"Valdez" Top 5 Page for this destination Valdez by worldtrekker
Valdez Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 182 photos
Valdez is located in an incredible fjord setting on Prince William Sound and surrounded by the Chugach Mountains. The entire area is very picturesque. Valdez has an interesting history. In the winter of 1897-98, prospectors came here for the starting point of the All American Route to the interior gold fields. Valdez is the northernmost ice-free port in North America and has developed as a seaport link to the interior. The city also relies on mining, fishing and tourism. In 1964, Old Town Valdez was almost completely destroyed by the largest earthquake ever recorded in the northern hemisphere. The city has since relocated to stable ground, four miles to the west. During the 1970's Valdez became the command center for the construction of the southern half of the TransAlaska Pipeline and permanent site of the marine terminal. Crude oil travels 800 miles from Prudoe Bay in the north to Valdez at rates of up to 75,000 barrels an hour. In 1989, the city became the primary staging area for cleanup operations for the Exxon oil spill. On the surface, everything looks back to normal today but if you dig down 5 inches in certain areas, you can still find remnants of the spill. Photo: Valdez boat harbor in early September, '96.
Drive over Thompson pass. You have to if you're driving to Valdez! The pass has an elevation of 2,678 feet/816m but... more travel advice
If you are coming or going to Portage/Anchorage/Seward areas, then a great option is to take the 6 - 6 1/2 hour car... more travel advice
worldtrekker's Related Pages
Valdez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North America's northernmost ice free port"
- "Valdez Alaska"
- "Valdez Alaska"
- "youc0001's new Valdez Page"
- "SWISS OF NORTHAMERICA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valdez
- Hotels in Valdez
- Transportation in Valdez
- Nightlife in Valdez
- Restaurants in Valdez
- Shopping in Valdez
- Warnings and Dangers in Valdez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valdez
- 15 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Valdez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valdez
Photos in ValdezSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 56 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyder Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seward Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Everglades National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moab Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos