"Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by worldtrekker
Seward Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 480 photos
Seward is a picturesque town 127 miles/204.4 km south of Anchorage. It is surrounded by high mountain ranges and lies at the edge of Resurrection Bay and at the base of Mount Marathon. It is known as the "Gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park." Downtown Seward has a frontier-town atmosphere with some buildings dating back to the early 1900's. The town was established in 1903 by railroad surveyors as an ocean terminal and supply center. The city was named for US Secretary of State William H Seward, who was a major player in purchasing Alaska from Russia in 1867. Alaska didn't become a state until 1959! It is our 49th state. Resurrection Bay is a year-round ice-free harbor and Seward is an important cargo and fishing port. Seward's economy depends on tourism, a coal terminal, a sawmill, fisheries, and government offices. Photo: Taken from Miller's Landing campground directly across Resurrection Bay in early June, 1996.
Take an interest in the birdlife - even if its just the bald eagles and the puffins. Before Alaska, I never paid much... more travel advice
worldtrekker's Related Pages
Seward Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic Seward"
- "Seward - Scenery that can't be beat"
- "Jumping Around Seward!"
- "A Favorite Destination"
- "Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park"
- "Great fishing town on Kenai Peninsula"
- "Seward, a small and friendly harbor town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seward
- Hotels in Seward
- Transportation in Seward
- Restaurants in Seward
- Shopping in Seward
- Warnings and Dangers in Seward
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seward
- 24 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Seward?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seward
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Satellite phone in the Outback"
- Commented on one of mht_in_la's Seward travel pages
- created a Seward Travel Page "Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park"
- Wrote a Review Take an interest in the... in Seward Favorites
Photos in SewardSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 56 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyder Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seward Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Everglades National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moab Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos