"Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by worldtrekker

Seward Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 480 photos

Seward is a picturesque town 127 miles/204.4 km south of Anchorage. It is surrounded by high mountain ranges and lies at the edge of Resurrection Bay and at the base of Mount Marathon. It is known as the "Gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park." Downtown Seward has a frontier-town atmosphere with some buildings dating back to the early 1900's. The town was established in 1903 by railroad surveyors as an ocean terminal and supply center. The city was named for US Secretary of State William H Seward, who was a major player in purchasing Alaska from Russia in 1867. Alaska didn't become a state until 1959! It is our 49th state. Resurrection Bay is a year-round ice-free harbor and Seward is an important cargo and fishing port. Seward's economy depends on tourism, a coal terminal, a sawmill, fisheries, and government offices. Photo: Taken from Miller's Landing campground directly across Resurrection Bay in early June, 1996.

• Last visit to Seward: Jul 2001
  • Intro Written Oct 15, 2002

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 12:56 AM

Nice new pport pic by the way :-) Hope the Man Bch party was fun. How is my favourite pier at sunset ?? x0x

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2005 at 10:41 PM

I saw you featured on the home page and found some interesting pointers here on paying attention to the surroundings.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2004 at 7:56 PM

Good info and wonderful photos for my trip in early June. Will be in Seward for 3 days and hope to see the wildlife you've pictured or mentioned.

• jenn_d's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2004 at 2:29 PM

Look at you with the beard :-) While I was kayaking we played games with a family of stellars..It wasn't until camp that night when I figured out that Stellar was the name and not an adjective! Superb wildlife photos.

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2004 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, Kate's cabin is small, only good for 1 or 2 at most. Miller's Landing was very helpful to me. I used their water taxi but did not spend the night with them.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 7:42 AM

another great page! I went kayaking in Aialik Bay, but, once again was not as lucky with the weather. I'm going to start following you when you travel : )

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2003 at 8:04 AM

your phots and tips have triggered wanderlust in me ;-)))

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2003 at 9:46 PM

What a gorgeous place, your photos are awsome.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2002 at 7:40 PM

Great general tips and photos! I love this area!

• Aug 6, 2002 at 9:22 PM

Am gonna sail my boat to this place SOON!

worldtrekker

“Take only pictures, leave only footprints.”

Badges & Stats in Seward