"Hyder - BEARS fishing" Hyder by worldtrekker
Hyder Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 72 photos
Hyder is the southernmost Alaskan community that you can drive to. Hyder boomed with the discovery of silver in 1917-18.
You'll see breathtaking glacier-draped mountains as you drive the Cassiar Hwy 37A into Hyder, one of the most abundant salmon, bear and eagle viewing areas in North America. To get to the Cassiar Hwy 37A turn off the Cassiar Hwy at Meziadin Junction at milepost 97.5. This entire area is prime bear habitat. Even in May when I passed this area going north, I counted a dozen bears on the Cassiar Hwy in a stretch of only 10 miles! The photo shows the border crossing between Canada (BC) and Alaska. There's an hour time change here too. When you enter Alaska, you are also entering Hyder. There are customs officials here on the Canadian side. When I was here in 1996 there was no customs at all. The Canadian town of Stewert (population 1000) is two miles back. Don't forget to check out my travelogues.
Keep your eyes open for wildlife! This is real wilderness. I saw quite a few marmots (pictured) during the drive to... more travel advice
This is an unusual situation where bears are accustomed to people observing them fish. There is also a knowledgable... more travel advice
worldtrekker's Related Pages
Hyder Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hyder - BEARS fishing"
- "We just happened upon Hyder"
- "A taste of Alaska"
- "MRojahn's new Hyder Page"
- "Stewart / Hyder"
- "Hyder...."the end of the world""
- "Bears fishing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hyder
- Hotels in Hyder
- Nightlife in Hyder
- Restaurants in Hyder
- Warnings and Dangers in Hyder
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hyder
- 24 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Hyder?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hyder
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 56 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyder Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seward Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Everglades National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moab Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos