"Hyder - BEARS fishing" Hyder by worldtrekker

Hyder Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 95 photos

Hyder is the southernmost Alaskan community that you can drive to. Hyder boomed with the discovery of silver in 1917-18.
You'll see breathtaking glacier-draped mountains as you drive the Cassiar Hwy 37A into Hyder, one of the most abundant salmon, bear and eagle viewing areas in North America. To get to the Cassiar Hwy 37A turn off the Cassiar Hwy at Meziadin Junction at milepost 97.5. This entire area is prime bear habitat. Even in May when I passed this area going north, I counted a dozen bears on the Cassiar Hwy in a stretch of only 10 miles! The photo shows the border crossing between Canada (BC) and Alaska. There's an hour time change here too. When you enter Alaska, you are also entering Hyder. There are customs officials here on the Canadian side. When I was here in 1996 there was no customs at all. The Canadian town of Stewert (population 1000) is two miles back. Don't forget to check out my travelogues.

• Last visit to Hyder: Jul 2001
  • Intro Written Oct 15, 2002

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2015 at 3:29 PM

We've been to Stewart/Hyder last summer. We really loved it there! Did what everyone does: Fish Creek. We only got to see 1 grizzly though. Salmon glacier was pretty impressive. And the valley near Granduc Mine ... wow ... Love your pictures!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 8:42 AM

marvelous page - am speechless.

• Feb 6, 2004 at 3:24 AM

A Bear Rapsody!

• merimichelle's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2003 at 8:58 PM

Well that article was enough to scare me! I just moved to Winter Park Colorado....now I'll be scared to throw out my trash! We have lots of bears here... :)

• Gilfeather's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2003 at 6:57 PM

'Friendliest Little Ghost Town In Alaska and wet T-shirt contests? Guess this would be a good place to go to get a "Boo... Job". Sorry..hehe

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2003 at 8:25 PM

Alaska tips second to none. You outdid yourself, Old Boy!

• jorgblaser's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2003 at 10:33 AM

wow those bears!!! well done!"joerg

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2002 at 7:18 PM

wonderful pix!

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2002 at 3:03 PM

I've been Hyderized at the Glacier Inn!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2002 at 12:07 PM

Top stuff! Didn't see any roo's up there did you? Only joking - poor Aussie attempt at humour!

“Take only pictures, leave only footprints.”

Badges & Stats in Hyder