"TICINO AND LUGANO" Lugano by worldtrekker

Lugano Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,046 photos

Ticino is the fourth largest canton in Switzerland and its official language is Italian. Ticino is not what your typical image of Switzerland would be. Usually when you think of this country your probably thinking of high snow covered peaks, alpenhorns, ski chalets, and fondue. Ticino is different and that's what makes this canton so intriguing. Did you ever think you'd see palm trees or bustling piazzas in mountainous Switzerland? Well, you will here! This area has a distinct Mediterranean flavor, with cuisine, architecture, and vegetation like that found further south in Italy. At the same time, Swiss order and efficiency pervails. Although Italian is the official language here, many people also speak French and German. English is less widely spoken than in the rest of Switzerland. I'm fluent in German so this was not a problem for me. :) This region offers mountain hikes and dramatic mountain valley's in the north; water sports and relaxed, leisurly towns in the south.
I have been to Ticino twice. The first time was just a quick drive through on a bus tour with my family in the north-west corner going over the Nufenen Pass on the border to Valais. The Nufenen Pass was beautiful by the way. I always find it a shame on these bus tours that there's never enough time to do very much outdoor stuff. Besides which I was traveling with my parents and grandmother which kind of limits things anyway.
I had wanted to see Lugano and Locarno for a very long time after seeing pictures and postcards from my grandmother's trip there. I finally had the opportunity to go in June, 2000! It was well worth the trip. I would love to explore this region further! This page is about the area around Lugano. I hope you get the chance to visit this awesome area! This photo is a postcard by R. Gimmi - I didn't go skydiving but I loved this picture!

• Last visit to Lugano: Jun 2000
  • Intro Updated Aug 6, 2004

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 9:17 PM

I didn't spend enough time in Lugano, now I see why i need to return. Very nice pictures and tips. Doug

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 6:52 PM

This hike sounds great!

• May 9, 2005 at 9:28 AM

San Salvatore really resembles Pao de Azucar in Rio! Very nice page!

• thinking's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2004 at 11:07 AM

It was such fun to stop by and read all about the things I missed in Lugano. Great commentary & photos. All the best!

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2004 at 8:04 AM

Some very nice photos. Great hotel tip. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful page.

• suubi's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2004 at 2:30 AM

Hey Ernst, i like the individuality of your page. Wonderful introduction, short and accurate. The Travelogue is woooo! i think i have made the right choice for Lugano

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2004 at 12:46 AM

... TO U ...

• amsterdam_vallon's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2003 at 8:07 AM

Great infos and pics, i am going there in june! Your page is very helpful!!!

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2003 at 2:53 PM

What a beautiful landscapes you have here, you are a great photographer. Lugano seems to be a lovely place to explore and enjoy. Thanks

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2003 at 10:35 AM

I was in the German and French parts of Switzerland this summer but did not get to this area. It looks beautiful according to your pictures.

worldtrekker

“Take only pictures, leave only footprints.”

Badges & Stats in Lugano