"TICINO AND LUGANO" Lugano by worldtrekker
Lugano Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,046 photos
Ticino is the fourth largest canton in Switzerland and its official language is Italian. Ticino is not what your typical image of Switzerland would be. Usually when you think of this country your probably thinking of high snow covered peaks, alpenhorns, ski chalets, and fondue. Ticino is different and that's what makes this canton so intriguing. Did you ever think you'd see palm trees or bustling piazzas in mountainous Switzerland? Well, you will here! This area has a distinct Mediterranean flavor, with cuisine, architecture, and vegetation like that found further south in Italy. At the same time, Swiss order and efficiency pervails. Although Italian is the official language here, many people also speak French and German. English is less widely spoken than in the rest of Switzerland. I'm fluent in German so this was not a problem for me. :) This region offers mountain hikes and dramatic mountain valley's in the north; water sports and relaxed, leisurly towns in the south.
I have been to Ticino twice. The first time was just a quick drive through on a bus tour with my family in the north-west corner going over the Nufenen Pass on the border to Valais. The Nufenen Pass was beautiful by the way. I always find it a shame on these bus tours that there's never enough time to do very much outdoor stuff. Besides which I was traveling with my parents and grandmother which kind of limits things anyway.
I had wanted to see Lugano and Locarno for a very long time after seeing pictures and postcards from my grandmother's trip there. I finally had the opportunity to go in June, 2000! It was well worth the trip. I would love to explore this region further! This page is about the area around Lugano. I hope you get the chance to visit this awesome area! This photo is a postcard by R. Gimmi - I didn't go skydiving but I loved this picture!
Hike a part of the Ticino Sun Trail from Monte San Salvatore to Morcote via the mountain villages of Ciona and Carona.... more travel advice
Enjoy the views from Monte San Salvatore! Photo: View to the left is the outskirts of Lugano and the town of Castagnola.... more travel advice
worldtrekker's Related Pages
Lugano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my home !"
- "Welcome to sunny Lugano"
- "LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL"
- "Lugano - a day trip to Ticino"
- "Welcome to my hometown, Lugano!"
- "MY BEST VACATION"
- "simply my backyard"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lugano
- Hotels in Lugano
- Transportation in Lugano
- Nightlife in Lugano
- Restaurants in Lugano
- Shopping in Lugano
- Warnings and Dangers in Lugano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lugano
- 14 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 82 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Lugano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lugano
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Satellite phone in the Outback"
- updated a Lugano Travel Page "TICINO AND LUGANO"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The sleepy mountain frazione..."
- Wrote a Review Hike a part of the Ticino Sun... in Lugano Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of naranja's Lugano travel pages
Photos in LuganoSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 56 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyder Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seward Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Everglades National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moab Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos