Oregon Things to Do Tips by worldtrekker
Oregon Things to Do: 273 reviews and 431 photos
Yet another pic from the Watchman, this time a closer look at the rim geology.
Here's another view from the Watchman in the other direction. It was getting close to sunset.
Hike up the Watchman. Average time 1 hour to go 1.4 miles roundtrip. The elevation change is from 7400ft to 8056ft and the hike is classified as difficult and steep. The trailhead is 3.7 miles northwest of Rim Village on West Rim Drive. You get a panorama view of the surroundings, Wizard Island and the lake. There is a historic fire lookout and an interpretive map of local peaks and land forms at the top. The pic is taken from the top looking down at the crater's rim and the West Rim Drive.
Photograph the lake early in the morning. This might be the best time for light conditions. You might consider hiking up Mt. Scott which is the highest point in the park and is supposed to have excellent views. You will climb from 7450ft to 9929ft in 2.5 miles so it is quite strenuous. Average 3 hours. Trailhead is 14 miles east of park headquarters.
Directions: This photo was taken from one of the first viewpoints you get to after leaving Rim Village.
Do the 33 mile Rim Drive around Crater Lake. There are more than 20 scenic overlooks. On average, allow 2 hours to drive completely around this very curvy road. This pic of Wizard Island was taken from one of the viewpoints. Wizard Island is actually the top of the new volcano which began forming after Mount Mazama blew. The island has a height of 764 feet above water.
There is a volcano cruise boat tour departing from Cleetwood Cove and making a stop at Wizard Island. This is the only boat allowed on the lake and costs about $20 for adults. To get to the boat there is a 3/4 mile hike which is fairly steep. This is the only safe and legal access to the lake itself. The boat cruise goes several times each day between late June and mid September and lasts about 1hr 45 mins. You're allowed to get off at Wizard Island and take a later boat back. This gives you time to hike to the top of the island or swim in the CHILLY blue waters of the lake. Bring water, a warm jacket and your camera.
Other Contact: Phone: (541) 830-8700
Definately go see Crater Lake National Park. The lake is unbelievably blue - really remarkable. I spent one night here in September, 2001 and only had a few hours to actually do some exploring. If you aren't into hiking, then this will probably be enough time for you, but I would have loved to spend an entire day hiking here.
Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the USA reaching a maximum depth of 1932 feet. It is also the world's 7th deepest. This lake lies where a volcano (Mount Mazama) once stood. About 7,700 years ago this volcano violently erupted. The eruption was 42 times as powerful as the eruption of Mt St Helens in 1980 (in Washington State). The caldera in which the lake is situated was formed after the top 5,000 feet of the volcano collapsed. Lava flows sealed the bottom and this allowed the caldera to fill with rainfall and snowmelt. There is no where for the water to flow out and therefore the only water loss is from evaporation.
Directions: This National Park is located in the southwest part of Oregon. It's a bit of a detour from the main route through the state. The west entrance is off Hwy 62 and the north entrance off 138. See the <A
Other Contact: For information and road and wea
More Reviews (32)
worldtrekker's Related Pages
Oregon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregon is Home"
- "Oregon, the most beautiful state"
- "Oregon: A Treasure Often Overlooked"
- "Famous for Rain, but That's Only Part of the Story"
- "Welcome to Oregon State"
- "Oregon: End of the Frontier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oregon
- Hotels in Oregon
- Transportation in Oregon
- Nightlife in Oregon
- Restaurants in Oregon
- Shopping in Oregon
- Warnings and Dangers in Oregon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Niskayuna Hotels
- Dewey Beach
- Slanghoek Hotels
- Nalanda Hotels
- Cilandak Hotels
- Hong Kong Island
Badges & Stats in Oregon
- 38 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Oregon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oregon
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Block ice... in or near..."
- updated a Oregon Travel Page "OREGON COAST, DUNES, & CRATER LAKE"
- Uploaded a Photo to "OREGON COAST, DUNES, & CRATER LAKE"
- Wrote a Review Hike up the Watchman. Average... in Oregon Things to Do
- Commented on one of zrim's Oregon travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 56 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyder Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seward Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Everglades National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moab Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Top Oregon hotels
- Portland Hotels
- 1401 Reviews - 2737 Photos
- Lincoln City Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 130 Photos
- Seaside Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Cannon Beach Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Ashland Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 181 Photos
- McMinnville Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Eugene Hotels
- 208 Reviews - 272 Photos
- Bend Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Klamath Falls Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Astoria Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 248 Photos
- Mount Hood Hotels
- 86 Reviews - 182 Photos
- Salem Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 287 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 108 Reviews - 513 Photos
- Wilsonville Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Gleneden Beach Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 8 Photos