"My Slow Ride on the Green River" Green River by NorineP

Green River Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 110 photos

One of life's little enjoyments for me is the opportunity to put my canoe in a clear, fast moving river and start paddling away. The minute I sit in the canoe all my cares seem to vanish; I hear a little better, I see a little clearer and my heart becomes a little bigger.

When I started on my canoeing trip down the Green River in Utah, I was expecting another wonderful trip; little did I know just how wonderful it would turn out to be. To say this trip was a life altering experience may seem a little extreme, but for me, it was just that...a life altering experience. I will never forget the velvety nights counting the shooting stars and watching for satellites passing overhead, the quiet dip of the paddle into the gently moving river, taking a bath in a river full of silt, trying to find water because some of the group had not brought enough, being thankful when you reached a place to pull over because the microbursts have kept you paddling in the same spot for what seems like hours,cleaning your cooking pans with sand, and finding the emotional strength to not panic in an emergency.

Some trips seem to imprint themselves in your memory and in your heart and this was one of those trips. We are already planning another, hopefully longer. I cannot wait to return to this beautiful river and revisit old sites and discover new treasures. You can follow our route in my travelogue.

"The water is wide
And we both shall row
My love and I
And we both shall row
My love and I"

From the song "The Water is Wide"

• Last visit to Green River: Jun 1997
  • Intro Written Jul 6, 2002

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 10:55 AM

What an amazing adventure.I wish I had the guts to undertake such an awesome journey. Best wishes to you,Norine.

• Nov 21, 2004 at 8:23 AM

great pictures and fun stories to read ;-))

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2003 at 8:52 AM

Drove through twice, spent the night here once, but never got on the river. Great tips and photography.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2003 at 1:23 AM

The Bats must've felt something for that one guy!! Maybe his sonic waves were wierd!? Accidental Stabbing?? Wow Keep away from that Guy!! Your Green River trip sure looks beautiful! Great travelogue!!

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2003 at 1:40 PM

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing. But why is it called Green River?

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2003 at 11:36 AM

Wow, great page Norine! I loved your story and your photos! This sounds exactly like a trip that I would love to do!!! Thanks :-)

• truus_s's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2003 at 11:59 AM

Wow this is great ..what a beautifull photos..what a nice trip!!

• utttz's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 5:25 PM

great trip.... and what a magnificent digital pics!!!!!!!

• zentrinko's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2002 at 6:17 PM

"There is a ship and it sails the sea/Its loaded deep as deep as can/but not as deep as the love I'm in/I know not how I sink or swim..but the water is wide." Great and interesting page, first person I found on here who knows that song.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2002 at 10:19 PM

Wow what an interesting read and interesting trip. Lots of great advice and info.

NorineP

“Take the road less traveled!”

Badges & Stats in Green River

Have you been to Green River?

Latest Activity in Green River