"vairab's new Sweden Page" Sweden by vairab
Sweden Travel Guide: 12,747 reviews and 39,526 photos
No, she had certainly never thought of herself as a museum piece! But to mark her 91st birthday on 14 November 1998 the doors opened at the Astrid Lindgren Centre and visitors were immediately transported back to the turn of the century when Astrid was a little girl who sat on her grandmother¹s knee in the kitchen at Näs.
Astrid Lindgren died peacefully in her home Monday 28th of January 2002, at 10:30AM. The burial ceremony took place in Stockholm on March the 8th. A white horse followed the carriage through the streets of Stockholm. Thousands and thousands of people gathered to show Astrid the last honour. The ceremony was shown on Swedish TV. The actual grave will be in Vimmerby.
Safe journey to Nangiala, Astrid! We'll miss you!
Astrid wasn't afraid of dying. "I don't mind dying, I'll gladly do that, but not right now, I need to clean the house first", she once said in an interview.
Astrid was born on November the 14th 1907. In November 2001 she was asked what she wanted for her 94th birthday. "Peace on earth and nice clothes" she replied, with a giggle.
They were written for children of all ages, and I'm still a child in my heart:).
Lindgren has written over 80 books, which have been translated into 76 languages and sold nearly 80 million copies.
In Valadalen you can enjoy the beauty of the Swedish mountains. Valadalen looks like a living folk museum, sheltered in... more travel advice
vairab's Related Pages
Sweden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Sweden!"
- "It's in my blood"
- "Sverige - beautiful all year round :-)))"
- "Sweden - Sverige"
- "Make the right turns when you're here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sweden
- Hotels in Sweden
- Transportation in Sweden
- Nightlife in Sweden
- Restaurants in Sweden
- Shopping in Sweden
- Warnings and Dangers in Sweden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sweden
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Sweden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sweden
- Posted in Travel Riga Region Forum "RE: Need info. about Tourist Visa..."
- Wrote a Review In Valadalen you can enjoy the... in Sweden Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "In Valadalen you can enjoy the..."
- updated a Sweden Travel Page "vairab's new Sweden Page"
- Commented on one of utttz's Sweden travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Latvia Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Riga Region Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos
- Aluksne Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos
- Estonia Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Norway Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Aluksnes Rajons Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Germany Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malta Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Sweden Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Ukraine Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos