""If it'll play in Peoria..."" Top 5 Page for this destination Peoria by londonlover
Peoria Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 192 photos
Peoria was my "hometown" for the four years I spent getting a degree, so I really should have some better knowledge of th city. However, I was an extremely busy physical therapy major/Spanish minor for the four years I was there. Combine that with the fact that I did not have a car, and I really saw very little outside the immediate campus area.
To be quite honest, the people I did know that were local to the area were usually not that positive about their hometown--crime was high, the city smelled of yeast, attractions were few, the river was polluted, and many areas of town were dilapidated. However, I haven't been back since August 2001, and from comments I've read here on VT and elsewhere, it does seem that Peoria is making a resurgence. So I'm toning down my criticism of my college town, and I'm glad to hear it's improving!
I am, however, knowledgeable about Bradley University itself! It has a great engineering program, and of course, I was very happy with their physical therapy program, which is now a doctorate. If you for some reason are considering going to the school, free free to email me and ask questions.
To sum it up, I must say that the people I met down there were very nice and typical of small-town America. And the Bradley basketball games are great to see live at the Peoria Civic Center downtown.
The picture above is of me on campus way back when I was a freshman--actually, this was taken during orientation before classes began. What a youngster I was! :)
Interesting Trivia: The catch phrase "If it'll play in Peoria" apparently refers to its history of vaudeville...implying that if this stereotypical small-city atmosphere appreciates a given performance, then most of American probably will, too!
- Pros:Home to my alma mater! :)
- Cons:Was not a very livable city when I was at college...
- In a nutshell:Worth a second look in recent years...
My home nine months of the year between 1997 and 2001! A great mid-sized university, Bradley was very much the focus of... more travel advice
There's something about an independent coffee shop/cafe in a college town that has its own aura, and One World is like... more travel advice
londonlover's Related Pages
Peoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Three-Time All American City: Peoria"
- "Peoria - A Town of Firsts for me"
- "Home of the Prairie Airshow"
- ""If it'll play in Peoria...""
- "Peoria has plenty of culture!"
- "P-town is Paradise!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peoria
- Hotels in Peoria
- Transportation in Peoria
- Nightlife in Peoria
- Restaurants in Peoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Peoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peoria
- 4 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Peoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peoria
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 98 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 67 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 52 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- California Intro, 22 reviews, 20 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadway Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- York Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Bath Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos