""If it'll play in Peoria..."" Top 5 Page for this destination Peoria by londonlover

Peoria Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 192 photos

The Midwest's Quintissential Small City

Peoria was my "hometown" for the four years I spent getting a degree, so I really should have some better knowledge of th city. However, I was an extremely busy physical therapy major/Spanish minor for the four years I was there. Combine that with the fact that I did not have a car, and I really saw very little outside the immediate campus area.

To be quite honest, the people I did know that were local to the area were usually not that positive about their hometown--crime was high, the city smelled of yeast, attractions were few, the river was polluted, and many areas of town were dilapidated. However, I haven't been back since August 2001, and from comments I've read here on VT and elsewhere, it does seem that Peoria is making a resurgence. So I'm toning down my criticism of my college town, and I'm glad to hear it's improving!

I am, however, knowledgeable about Bradley University itself! It has a great engineering program, and of course, I was very happy with their physical therapy program, which is now a doctorate. If you for some reason are considering going to the school, free free to email me and ask questions.

To sum it up, I must say that the people I met down there were very nice and typical of small-town America. And the Bradley basketball games are great to see live at the Peoria Civic Center downtown.

The picture above is of me on campus way back when I was a freshman--actually, this was taken during orientation before classes began. What a youngster I was! :)

Interesting Trivia: The catch phrase "If it'll play in Peoria" apparently refers to its history of vaudeville...implying that if this stereotypical small-city atmosphere appreciates a given performance, then most of American probably will, too!

• Pros:Home to my alma mater! :)
  • Cons:Was not a very livable city when I was at college...
  • In a nutshell:Worth a second look in recent years...
  • Last visit to Peoria: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2008

londonlover

“One does evil enough when one does nothing good. --German Proverb”

Badges & Stats in Peoria