"Gurnee, Illinois -- Classic Chicago Suburbia :)" Top 5 Page for this destination Gurnee by londonlover
Gurnee Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 66 photos
Gurnee is, I believe, one of the fastest-growing towns in the USA. This, however, is not exactly its greatest virtue. Living adjacent to this "village," I can tell you it's overgrown, and traffic is a nightmare basically around the clock. It can easily take 15 minutes to travel a mile in the largest shopping district! Gurnee is one of the biggest villages in Lake County, the county just north of Cook County (Chicago). You may stay here to see one of the area attractions, listed below.
Having said that, Gurnee is not all bad. The Gurnee Mills Outlet Mall is a huge disappointment, in my opinion, for value and quality, but the surrounding strip malls have many better places to shop and eat. Gurnee is most famous, of course, as home to Six Flags Great America, one of the best roller coaster parks in the country!
FYI-- Gurnee is pronounced "Gur-ney" with the accent on the last syllable...not on the first as it's pronounced in the National Lampoon Christmas Vacation movie. :)
- Pros:You can shop and eat a lot here, and it's easily accessible from both Chicago and Milwaukee
- Cons:Traffic, traffic, traffic...did I say traffic? And cheap, overpriced outlet stores. :)
- In a nutshell:Worthwhile if you know where to go/what to do, a nightmare at rush hour!
Marble Slab is a chain of ice cream stores that apparently has been around for a few years, but only recently made it to... more travel advice
Six Flags Great America theme park A fun place to go, especially if you love roller-coasters (helter-skelters for my... more travel advice
londonlover's Related Pages
Gurnee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fast-Growing Gurnee"
- "Gurnee, Illinois -- Classic Chicago Suburbia :)"
- "Gurnee = Shopping"
- "Gurnee ROCKS!"
- "HappyPants's Gurnee Page"
- "6 Flags and a Mall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gurnee
- Hotels in Gurnee
- Restaurants in Gurnee
- Shopping in Gurnee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gurnee
- 7 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Gurnee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gurnee
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: 4th July Fireworks Cruise"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Six Flags Great America theme park"
- updated a Gurnee Travel Page "Gurnee, Illinois -- Classic Chicago Suburbia :)"
- Wrote a Review Great takeout pizzeria in Gurnee Restaurants
- Commented on one of deecat's Gurnee travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 98 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 67 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 52 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- California Intro, 22 reviews, 20 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadway Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- York Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Bath Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos