"Call it "Bomboniera"" Top 5 Page for this destination Schloß Linderhof by Azhut
Schloß Linderhof Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 306 photos
The story of Linderhof starts in the 15th centuries, when in the Graswang Valley, was situated a farm, belonging to a Benedictine monatery and committed to a family called "Linder"; that is why, some years mater, the Palace took the name "Linderhof".
The father of Ludwig II, King Maximilie II, bought the farm to change it in a hunting pavillon, but in 1869, his son decided to buy it and to build there not a huge palace or a castle, but a little "royal refuge", to relax and thinking in a quiet atmosphere. Linderhof is one of the five Castle/Palace (Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Linderhof, Nymphenbourg, Herrenchiemsee), that made King Ludwig II so famous.
The façace of the castle is a great fusion of french and bavarian baroque style. Linderhof Castle, after a very longe period of building and rebuilding, is the only large palace King Ludwig II lived to see completed, and he spent there the latest years of his life. Before Ludwig decided to build it up, in the area there was just a wooden house and then the king's cottage.
As I wrote in another picture Linderhof Castle is surrounded by many statues and fountains. Here you can see maybe the second fountain, if you consider the largeness. The fountain represents Neptune, the king of the Sea, riding his horse. Maybe you can imagine how beautiful and clear the water was, looking at that green color!
- Pros:Situated in a beautiful land: Bayern
- Cons:The fountain is often closed!
- In a nutshell:Wonderful and magig atmosphere
King Ludwig II was well known for his eccentricity and his originality. He was a lover of Wagner works so inside the... more travel advice
King Ludwig II has a great charm to me. I knew his life-history after visiting the famous Neuschwanstein Castle, and... more travel advice
Azhut's Related Pages
Schloß Linderhof Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our third Ludwig's Castle"
- "weekend at Schloss Linderhof"
- "Call it "Bomboniera""
- "The home of a solitary king"
- "Just missed a great Castle here!"
- "GOLD AND MORE GOLD - SCHLOSS LINDERHOF"
- "Schloss Linderhof"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schloß Linderhof
- Transportation in Schloß Linderhof
- Restaurants in Schloß Linderhof
- Shopping in Schloß Linderhof
- Warnings and Dangers in Schloß Linderhof
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Schloß Linderhof
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Schloß Linderhof?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schloß Linderhof
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 113 reviews, 155 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 44 reviews, 103 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 50 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 43 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola d' Elba Intro, 28 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 31 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 36 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rosignano Solvay Intro, 35 reviews, 38 photos