"Cows are friendly animals. ;)" Aarlanderveen by myriam_c
Aarlanderveen Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 52 photos
It hasn't always been possible to make a walk along the 4 mills in the Green Heart of Holland because the mills can only be reached via the pastures and there are no walkways. Nowadays the land owners have given permission to walk on their land.
It's a beautiful walk during which you literally walk through the polders, in the Green Heart of the Dutch Lakes area.
You walk in between herds of cattle (mostly cows and sheep) and you can see the 4 windmills really close. You can perfectly see how a deep polder can be kept dry.
Four windmills, of which three in a row, 'lift' the polderwater for almost 5 meter, to the level of the Old Rhine.
The walk is about 7 km long.
Leaving from Aarlanderveen the first mill you see is the Putmolen, that keeps the lowest level dry.
The next three mills, the ones in a row, are the original mills. Mill no. 2, the Ondermolen, lifts the water for more than 1 mter. It's the miller of mill no. 2 who decides when it's time to let the 4 mills 'work'.
Behind mill no. 3, the Middelmolen, you can clearly see that the water level is definitely lower.
Mill no. 4 does the last 'water lifting' for the remaining 1.5 meter.
***About the cows that are friendly animals ... I was a bit nervous when walking in between all those big black and white cows. I have seen cows before, but never from so close! Eeek! Gonnie however put my mind at ease by telling me that cows are the kindest animals.
- In a nutshell:Very quiet, rural, and yet close to the city
myriam_c's Related Pages
Aarlanderveen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aarlanderveen, the windmills are still working !!"
- "Almost had a hit of the windmill"
- "Cows are friendly animals. ;)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aarlanderveen
- Transportation in Aarlanderveen
- Restaurants in Aarlanderveen
- Shopping in Aarlanderveen
- Warnings and Dangers in Aarlanderveen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aarlanderveen
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Aarlanderveen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aarlanderveen
Top 10 Pages
- Antwerp Intro, 49 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 26 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kalmthout Intro, 10 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Guadeloupe Intro, 10 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sorrento Intro, 15 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Funchal Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues