"Curral das Freiras ('The Nun's Valley')" Curral das Freiras by myriam_c
Curral das Freiras Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 30 photos
Curral das Freiras is an isolated valley surrounded by high peaks. Driving from Eira do Serrado (a rock high above Curral das Freiras) to the valley is like driving in a lost world.
The distance between Funchal and Curral das Freiras is only 19 km but the village is so isolated and the road (there is only one road) is narrow, steep and very winding which creates a feeling of total isolation.
The views from Eira do Serrado are breathtaking. The low clouds and the mist made it even more mysterious.
For the history of the name "The Nun's Valley", go to my "must see activity" tip.
- In a nutshell:An eagle's nest.
Mind the mist and the low clouds when you drive in the mountains. It can come and go very quickly. more travel advice
The church of Curral das Freiras is pretty nice. It's a modern church but the inside is worth seeing. more travel advice
myriam_c's Related Pages
Curral das Freiras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden Valley of the Nuns"
- "Curral das Freiras ('The Nun's Valley')"
- "Curral das Freiras"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Curral das Freiras
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Curral das Freiras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Curral das Freiras
- Posted in Travel Muscat Forum "Re: Is a car essential in Muscat?"
- updated a Curral das Freiras Travel Page "Curral das Freiras ('The Nun's Valley')"
- Commented on one of sandysmith's Curral das Freiras travel pages
- Wrote a Review Mind the mist and the low clouds ! in Curral das Freiras Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mind the mist and the low clouds !"
Top 10 Pages
- Antwerp Intro, 49 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 26 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kalmthout Intro, 10 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Guadeloupe Intro, 10 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sorrento Intro, 15 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Funchal Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues