"Pompei" Pompeii by myriam_c
Pompeii Travel Guide: 980 reviews and 2,709 photos
Once upon a time … Pompei was a flourishing city set at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius in the Gulf of Naples. In the year 62 a heavy earthquake severly damaged the city of Pompei but the city was soon rebuilt, with luxury decorated villas along the coastline.
An eruption of the volcano made an abrupt end to this prosperity.
On 24th August of the year 79 at 1 o’clock in the afternoon the mountain erupted. The wind came from the wrong angle and the ashes and toxic gases flew all over Pompei. The cloud of gas, ash and rocks was so extremely huge that it left the city in the dark, though it was broad daylight. People didn’t know what happened. They were used to slight tremors and wisps of gas that came out of the mountain but had never seen a spectacle like this before. They took refuge into their houses and were trapped like mice in a mousetrap. The hot ash turned into stone in the cold air and the millions of tons of stones buried the whole city. The buildings were all destroyed and the 25000 inhabitants of Pompei were killed by the hot toxic gases.
It wasn’t until 1594 that both Pompei and Herculaneum were found under dozens of meters of hardened ash.
Till today archaeologists are constantly working on the site and still find new excavations.
The new city of Pompei has been built next to the excavation site. It's a pretty city, with a few nice monuments. The Basilica, for instance.
Small restaurant, easy to find on the main road that goes to the new city of Pompei. It's not the usual trattoria but in... more travel advice
myriam_c's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "Pompeii: Rising from the Ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 2 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
Photos in PompeiiSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Antwerp Intro, 49 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 26 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kalmthout Intro, 10 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Guadeloupe Intro, 10 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sorrento Intro, 15 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Funchal Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues