"Tsavo West Natioal Park" Tsavo National Park West by myriam_c
Tsavo National Park West Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 304 photos
Second part of my travel report.
After having driven 150 km of "piste" we arrive in Tsavo West National Park around noon. Tsavo West is a park of 7500 km2 vast. It's humid and very hot. We will stay one night at the Kilaguni Lodge, the first safarilodge in Kenya, built in 1962 enjoying a magnificent view over the volcanic Chyulu Hills and the majestic Kilimanjaro. We're welcomed by baboons, salamanders, marabous and mungo's. Our temporary 'domestic animals'. We're offered a welcome drink on the verandah. Right behind the verandah is a pool where a herd of zebras is drinking. Later on we see many other park inhabitants drinking at this pool.
Our room is plain but clean: 2 narrow beds with a mosquito-net, a shower and WC. And instead of glass a wire netting in the windows and the outer door. - see hotels & accomodations tip.
After having tried out the swimming pool our driver takes us for our first game drive in the late afternoon: a drive in the park searching for wild animals. After a few minutes we see a dozen impala's, also ostriches and waterbucks.
After a good dinner we go to bed early for a good night sleep … so we thought! In the middle of the night we are woken up by strange noises, as if there is someone at the outer door (no glass, remember?!). We try to look into the dark night but we can't see anything at all. The next morning our neighbours asked "have you seen the elephant last night, grazing in your backyard?". So that was the noise that woke us up!
The next morning an early drive to Mzima Springs, springs that supply 20 million liter of water each day to the city of Mombasa. The place is alive with baboons. The crocodiles in the river are too lazy to show up.
After lunch we leave for Amboseli National Park, a long drive that we have to do in convoy with armed police. We cross the stunning Chyulu Hills and see the most beautiful vistas. On the road we see our first giraffe. We ask the driver to make a U-turn so that we can see the animal closer. The man grins and returns. A few days later we understand why he grinned: we would see dozens and dozens of giraffes. We also get to meet lionesses and dik-diks (miniature antelopes). And suddenly we're in the middle of the wildlife: huge herds of wildebeests, elephants in all sizes, buffalo's and zebra's, grants gazelle's, thomsons gazelle's, jackhal's, kudu's and vultures munching the last remainders of a dead body. That evening we enjoy a beautiful sunset above the extensive steppe.
To be continued ... Amboseli Game Reserve
- Cons:High humidity degree - hot
myriam_c's Related Pages
Tsavo National Park West Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tsavo West"
- "Home Of The: MAN-EATERS of TSAVO!"
- "Tsavo National Park West"
- "TSAVO WEST"
- "Tsavo West National Park"
- "Tsavo National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tsavo National Park West
- Hotels in Tsavo National Park West
- Transportation in Tsavo National Park West
- Nightlife in Tsavo National Park West
- Warnings and Dangers in Tsavo National Park West
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tsavo National Park West
- 1 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Tsavo National Park West?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tsavo National Park West
Photos in Tsavo National Park WestSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Antwerp Intro, 49 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 26 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kalmthout Intro, 10 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Guadeloupe Intro, 10 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sorrento Intro, 15 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Funchal Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues