"Overijssel" Provincie Overijssel by Tetreus
Provincie Overijssel Travel Guide: 1,436 reviews and 4,159 photos
The tubanti ( Tubanten ) where a German tribe who settled themselves around the beginning of the era in the present east Holland.
In the year 14 A.C the Tubanti were fighting the Roman troops because they wanted to help the Marsi-, Bructeri-, and the Usipetitribes.
Some centuries later the Tubanti where confronted again with the Roman troops.
The roman emperor Constantino attacked the Bructeri (308). The German coalition ( also the Tubanti ) tried to invade the Roman Emperor.
They didn't succeed.
Tubanti were also called Tuihanti.
In the 3rd centrury a group of Tuihanti served the Roman emperor as part of a Frisian horseman detachment who were settled at Vercovicium: the present Housestead ( Great Brittain ) close to the wall of Hadrianus.
They've found some stones with the following inscriptions:
DEO MARTI THINCSO ET DVABVS ALAISIAGIS BEDE ET FIMMILENE ET N AVG GERM CIVES TVIHANTI V S L M
(MARTI ET DVABVS ALAISIAGIS ET N AVG GER CIVES TVIHANTI CVNEI FRISIORVM VER SER ALEXANDRIANI VOTVM SOLVERVNT LIBENTES M
Some centuries later the Tubanti were absorbed as a tribe with the Franks.
From Tuihanti to Twente..........
Twente in old Latin Tuihanti, in 797 Tuianti, in 799 Tueanti, in 851 Thuehenti and in the 11th century Tuente and last but not least Twente or Twenthe.
Twente is a part of the east of the Netherlands, a part of the province Overijssel, confined by the rivers Regge and Dinkel, the german borderline and the region Achterhoek ( province of Gelderland ). (provincie Gelderland).
" Uit gouden korenaren
schiep God de Twentenaren,
en uit de resten
de mensen uit het Westen "
Salland is a historical region in the west and north of the present Dutch province of Overijssel.
The history of Salland goes back to the early Middle Ages, when the four quarters of Oversticht (Salland, Twente, Land van Vollenhove and Drente) were acquired by the Prince-Bishopric of Utrecht. When the Archbishop of Utrecht sold his domains to Holy Roman Emperor Charles V in 1527, Salland became of of the three constituent parts of the new dominion of Overijssel, which in turn became one of the seven provinces of the Dutch Republic in 1581 (Drente became a dominion in its own right).
A local custom in my family but also in lots of other Dutch families is painting the eggs at Easter. You have to use... more travel advice
Twents Volksleed Dôar lig tuss'n Déénkel en Regge 'n laand oons mooie en neerige Twèènte 't Laand van katoen en 't laand... more travel advice
Tetreus' Related Pages
Provincie Overijssel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Countryside: Peaceful and beautiful nature."
- "Province of Overijssel"
- "Overijssel / Twente"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Overijssel
- Hotels in Provincie Overijssel
- Transportation in Provincie Overijssel
- Nightlife in Provincie Overijssel
- Restaurants in Provincie Overijssel
- Shopping in Provincie Overijssel
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Overijssel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Overijssel
- 32 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Provincie Overijssel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Overijssel
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: travel by car"
- Wrote a Review Easter...painting the eggs ! in Provincie Overijssel Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Easter...painting the eggs !"
- updated a Provincie Overijssel Travel Page "Overijssel"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Provincie Overijssel travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 78 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lhaviyani Atholhu Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Sibculo Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tarvisio Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Israel Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Indonesia Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Norway Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Grand Canyon Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos