"Welcome to The_Dutchman's Home Page" the_dutchman's Profile

Penticton (Paradise) B.C. CANADA,my home town

THE PICTURE ON MY HOME PAGE WILL CONTINUE TO CHANGE WITH THE SEASONS.

Thank you for visiting my V/T homepage.

Now for a little information about myself. It seems I got the travel bug a long time ago when my family (9 of us) immigrated to Canada in 1954.

I was just a youngster of 12 yrs back then but it was a start. A nine day voyage on an old converted troop ship (the JOHAN van OLDENBARNAVELD) with 1200 other passengers on board took me to Canada.

As a child it was an adventure of a lifetime, but for my parents it must have been a nightmare. Eventually when becoming old enough to work, I went back a couple of times to my old Fatherland.

When I eventually got married I was able to convince my wife Lenora to come travel with me. That lasted only a little while, as now it was time for children and our travel plans were put on a hold for some 20 yrs. After raising two wonderfull children we finally started to see some of the world together.

Why my wife Lenora and I leave our city to travel as much as we do is difficult to explain, especially when you live in a place like we do.

Penticton, our home city, just 80 km north of the American border has a population of 32,000 and is in the heart of the Okanagan region of British Columbia, the most western province of Canada. It is a city with mountains and is positioned on an isthmus between two lakes, SKAHA LAKE to the South and OKANAGAN LAKE to the North.

The valley's fruit orchards produce apricots,a variety of apples, pears, cherries and peaches. Towards the southern part of the valley they even grow bananas although not on a commercial scale. We have pristine waters, white sandy beaches and blue skies. Vineyards cover the hills and some of the best wines in the world are made here, especially the much sought after ICE WINE.

The indigenous word for PENTICTON has two meanings, "PARADISE" and "A PLACE TO LIVE FOREVER". This is the place people come to visit because of it's beauty. If you ever happen to be in Penticton, why not drop in and we can talk about each other's travels. That's our house so you can't miss us.

The area where our house is located allows us to see both of the lakes and the beaches, frequented by the tourists, the vineyards and mountains.
Often, many deer can be seen on our property as well as pheasants, quail, coyotes, black bears, bobcats and rattles snakes..

It will take some time to get everything that I would like to show you onto the travel pages, so, bear with me as I try to create some travelogues for your pleasure. Have fun and you may contact me if you wish.

Gerry, the_ dutchman.

The natives call it Paradise

Penticton is located between two lakes, Skaha Lake and Lake Okanagan. It is only a small 10 Km isthmus with 35,000 residents. The main industry are our orchards and vineyards which are second to none in the world. By the way, this view is taken from our home, how lucky we are.

Peaches and Beaches

Penticton,our city, is the Jewel of the Okanagan, which is the envy of the rest of Canada. We have some of the best beaches on can find. Peaches are a bi-product of our orchards and by golly, can we grow them big.

Like I said, our peaches grow big here in the Okanagan. This is just one of them. It rolled out to the beach at Okanagan Lake. The original stern wheeler, the Sicamous that plied the waters of the lake (135 KM/90 m) is also located here.

The canal in Penticton

The lakes, north and south of Penticton are connected by a man made canal. Summertime both locals and tourists make good use of this canal to keep cool. this goes on all summer long.

This is MY TOWN and I'll die here its so beautiful

Sitting on top of one of the mountains surrounding Penticton one gets an unending view of our area. that is Skaha lake behind me. We are so privileged to live in this area.

The native word for Penticton is "Paradise"

One of the old time stern wheeler's is a major tourist attraction in Penticton. The ship used to ply the entire lake (150 Km) to serve the towns surrounding it, prior to building of the highway. It has been completely restored. Penticton is a major tourist destination. The name of the ship is an aboriginal word meaning, "Narrowing of the Water"

Penticton,the city of fauna & flora

All through our city one can find beautiful flora. The city as small as it is is well known for it's fantastic location and almost triples in size during the summer months,Why don't you look us up sometime and when you do, make sure that you give the_dutchman a call. See you in Penticton, "a place to live forever"

• Intro Updated Oct 18, 2014

Personal Pages (1)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
the_dutchman's Profile Photo

the_dutchman

“Keep on travelling, we will see you in Penticton, B.C.,Canada”

Real Name