"Welcome to The_Dutchman's Home Page" the_dutchman's Profile

Penticton (Paradise) B.C. CANADA,my home town

THE PICTURE ON MY HOME PAGE WILL CONTINUE TO CHANGE WITH THE SEASONS.

Thank you for visiting my V/T homepage.

Now for a little information about myself. It seems I got the travel bug a long time ago when my family (9 of us) immigrated to Canada in 1954.

I was just a youngster of 12 yrs back then but it was a start. A nine day voyage on an old converted troop ship (the JOHAN van OLDENBARNAVELD) with 1200 other passengers on board took me to Canada.

As a child it was an adventure of a lifetime, but for my parents it must have been a nightmare. Eventually when becoming old enough to work, I went back a couple of times to my old Fatherland.

When I eventually got married I was able to convince my wife Lenora to come travel with me. That lasted only a little while, as now it was time for children and our travel plans were put on a hold for some 20 yrs. After raising two wonderfull children we finally started to see some of the world together.

Why my wife Lenora and I leave our city to travel as much as we do is difficult to explain, especially when you live in a place like we do.

Penticton, our home city, just 80 km north of the American border has a population of 32,000 and is in the heart of the Okanagan region of British Columbia, the most western province of Canada. It is a city with mountains and is positioned on an isthmus between two lakes, SKAHA LAKE to the South and OKANAGAN LAKE to the North.

The valley's fruit orchards produce apricots,a variety of apples, pears, cherries and peaches. Towards the southern part of the valley they even grow bananas although not on a commercial scale. We have pristine waters, white sandy beaches and blue skies. Vineyards cover the hills and some of the best wines in the world are made here, especially the much sought after ICE WINE.

The indigenous word for PENTICTON has two meanings, "PARADISE" and "A PLACE TO LIVE FOREVER". This is the place people come to visit because of it's beauty. If you ever happen to be in Penticton, why not drop in and we can talk about each other's travels. That's our house so you can't miss us.

The area where our house is located allows us to see both of the lakes and the beaches, frequented by the tourists, the vineyards and mountains.
Often, many deer can be seen on our property as well as pheasants, quail, coyotes, black bears, bobcats and rattles snakes..

It will take some time to get everything that I would like to show you onto the travel pages, so, bear with me as I try to create some travelogues for your pleasure. Have fun and you may contact me if you wish.

Gerry, The_ Dutchman.

• Intro Updated May 29, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
the_dutchman's Profile Photo

the_dutchman

“Keep on travelling, we will see you in Penticton, B.C.,Canada”

Real Name