"The Gaasbeek Castle" Gaasbeek by Scarlie
Gaasbeek Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
The Castle is right in the middle of Pajottenland -- maybe one of the most picturesque parts of Belgium. Built in 13th century, it has been in the possession of the family Arconati Visconti until the early 20th century.
even tho the last Marquise spent mere 6 weeks a year in Gaasbeek, she'd dedicated her life in turning the castle into a museum of the times. Today it is part of Gaasbeek domain and is managed by municipal funds.
The museum wing has rooms from the original plan (13th century) as well as rooms from the 19th century renovation. Every room displays period pieces, from valuable Flemish tapestries to furniture and paintings.
When we visited, there was an ad shoot, so the construction in the middle and behind the bushes is temporary.
Situated on a hill, the Castle has a fantastic view over the green fields around. Pieter Bruegel often sat in the inner court looking for inspiration.
The Gaasbeek domain also contains fantastic fruit and decorative gardens, housing some very unusual varieties.
- Pros:Very close to Brussels, peaceful, beautiful
- Cons:no guided tour
- In a nutshell:Excellent day-trip option
Scarlie's Related Pages
Gaasbeek Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Gaasbeek
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Gaasbeek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaasbeek
Top 10 Pages
- Sofia Intro, 46 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 32 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
- Delhi 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Ardennes Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Gurgaon Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Gooik Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
No friends yet.