"This is Vancouver" Vancouver by MDH
Vancouver Travel Guide: 4,170 reviews and 9,053 photos
I love this city. I can go back to it again and again and never get bored with it.
Vancouver occupies one of the most beautiful and scenic harbors in the world, rivaled perhaps only by San Francisco and Sydney. Recently, the United Nations ranked the city as one of the world's most livable cities, and presently the city is getting prepared for the 2010 Winter Olympics. With all this international recognition, Vancouverites have every right to claim that they live in the cream of the crop. The city is home to a vast ethnic stew, sometimes at peace and sometimes at odds amognst each other. English Canadians, First Nations, Germans, Poles, Italians, Africans and Jews occupy the same city as newcomers pour in from Asia, especially Hong Kong. This has led to some culture clashes between natives and newcomers, as new Chinese residents built monsturous homes to replace older reserved Tudor style residences in the English End along Granville St, as well as creating a virtual ethnic enclave in the neighboring suburb of Richmond.
Despite some of these drawbacks, Vancouver is largley at peace with itself and celebrates its multiculturalism as much as its scenery. Stanley Park, just outside of downtown, remains one of the largest city parks in the country; walking around its forests would fool anyone into believing that they're not five minutes from downtown. The magestic Lions Gate Bridge connects Vancouver proper with North Vancouver across the wide Burrard Inlet, creating a city harbor entrance that only few other cities can compete with. On the harbor's other side, "North Van" nestles up against snow-peaked green mountains and valleys. Float planes land routinely in the harbor, reminding people that as cosmopolitan Vancouver is, the wilderness is practically at its doorstep.
Overall Vancouver is a fun, comfortable and great city to visit. Check it out!
- Pros:The city itself is majestic, fun, and great to explore. Its natural surroundings are absolutely stunning.
- Cons:The city does have some rough neighborhoods, but thankfully, these aren't tourist destinations.
- In a nutshell:Vancouver is a scenic city in every sense! Come check it out!
This joint American/Canadian/Australian website gives club listings for many of the major cities of these three... more travel advice
For many Americans living across the border in Washington, the way to get to Vancouver is by going up I-5 until you... more travel advice
MDH's Related Pages
Vancouver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Local's Perspective"
- "Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
- "Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
- "Vancouver, my current home"
- "Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"
- "The big city on the West Coast"
- "Welcome to Beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vancouver
- Hotels in Vancouver
- Transportation in Vancouver
- Nightlife in Vancouver
- Restaurants in Vancouver
- Shopping in Vancouver
- Warnings and Dangers in Vancouver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vancouver
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Vancouver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vancouver
Photos in VancouverSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 24 reviews, 21 photos
- Victoria Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Santa Cruz Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Jose Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Montreal Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos