"In the Heart of California" Top 5 Page for this destination Davis by MDH
Davis Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 133 photos
Davis is my hometown for the next two to three years while I got college here. Sitting in flat farmland and fields twenty miles south west of Sacramento along I-80, Davis has a long history of being a transit hub. In the 19th century, railways connecting the West with the East ran through here, as well as other lines connecting Northern and Southern California. In the early 20th century, the first transcontinental road for cars, the Lincoln Highway, made its way through here. The original road to that legendary first car highway, by the way, is only a block away from my house.
Today, Davis is home to UC Davis , one of the most well-known schools throughout California and the Western U.S.. With a population of around 60,000, Davis, unlike its other counterparts in the Central Valley, is rather confined and tight to minimize enroachment on the surrounding farmland. Because of this, the town has a "Dutch" vibe, where one doesn't really need a car to get around, but can rely on numerous bike paths and public transit, which is free for students. The bicycle is to Davis what the car is to LA.
Lastly for music lovers and hip-hop heads, aside from being a college town, Davis has given the world Josh Davis, aka: DJ Shadow.
- Pros:This is a college town, so there's a youthful, fun vibe to the town. Also because it's flat for miles, this is the perfect place for a good bike ride.
- Cons:Because we're in Interior California and not by the coasts, it can get as hot as Hades here in the summer.
- In a nutshell:A fun place to stop by, even if you don't know anyone who might live or go to school here. Always a good stop on your way to the Sierras or to the Bay Area.
The G St. Pub I should say isn't exactly a pub in the British sense, but more like a large bar that plays live music and... more travel advice
Davis is a safe town, where crime is relatively infrequent. However, you should be aware when you're walking out alone... more travel advice
MDH's Related Pages
Davis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bicycling Heaven and Quirky College Town Davis"
- "More than a Central Valley College Town"
- "In the Heart of California"
- "the people's republic"
- "College Town and More"
- "Davis: A Rural University Town"
- "Davis = diversity"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Davis
- Hotels in Davis
- Transportation in Davis
- Nightlife in Davis
- Restaurants in Davis
- Shopping in Davis
- Warnings and Dangers in Davis
- See All...
Explore the World
- Province of Negros Occidental
- Kurama Hotels
- Yuma Hotels
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge
- Strokestown Hotels
- Terre Haute
- Delaware Water Gap
- San Esteban de Pravia Hotels
- San Juan Hotels
- Lewis And Clark State Memorial Park
- Detroit Lakes
- Sitka Hotels
- Comunidad Valenciana
Badges & Stats in Davis
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Davis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Davis
Photos in DavisSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 24 reviews, 21 photos
- Victoria Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Santa Cruz Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Jose Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Montreal Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
Latest Davis hotel reviews
- Econo Lodge Davis
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013