"Manchester's New Epoch" Manchester by MDH
Manchester Travel Guide: 1,759 reviews and 4,078 photos
Manchester was once one the centers of the Industrial Revolution which brought the British Empire to new-found heights in the late 18th and 19th centuries. But after the Second World War, with the collapse of the Empire and the closing of the very same factories which had propelled Manchester to fame, the city entered a brave new jittery post-industrial world. But that didn't slow down the city. In the 1970s and '80s, Manchester became a frontline for popular British culture, giving birth to gloomy musical milestones like Joy Division and the Smiths. Then in the '80s "Madchester" spawned the Rave Revolution with the E-fueled Hacienda club, New Order, the Happy Mondays and the Stone Roses. In more recent times, essential Brit-pop band Oasis made the city its base of operations and central to the band's roots.
Today, Manchester is home to a world-class football (soccer) team that is one of the U.K.'s most well-known franchises, and a thriving city center of shopping districts, pubs, musuems and clubs that has done away with the city's industrial image, while at the same time, reminding visitors of its not-so-distant past
- Pros:A clean, safe, fun city where foreign and domestic visitors are welcomed as there aren't too many.
- Cons:It's not quite as historic, picturesque or well known as London, nor does it have ye old charm of Old Edinburgh
- In a nutshell:Manchester is a must to view, even if it's only for a few days. Essential for anyone wanting to see another part of the UK that not too many visitors get a chance to experience
The Metrolink serves greater Manchester and is a fairly reliable way to get around town, especially when you're in the... more travel advice
This museum, with its classical Greco-Roman entrance and it's modern-day 21st century interior, is a pleasant surprise... more travel advice
MDH's Related Pages
Manchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Manchester page"
- "My Manchester"
- "Manchester - Full of Surprises"
- "Manchester - a versatile city"
- "Manchester and the Christmas Markets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manchester
- Hotels in Manchester
- Transportation in Manchester
- Nightlife in Manchester
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Shopping in Manchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Manchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manchester
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Manchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manchester
Photos in ManchesterSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 24 reviews, 21 photos
- Victoria Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Santa Cruz Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Jose Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Montreal Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos