"Mzuri-Sanas' of Mikumi" Mikumi National Park by safardreams
Mikumi National Park Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 105 photos
This safari in the beginning was suppose to be a witness to the Elephant Relocation in Kenya. I was to visit Mikumi, Ruaha & Tsavo East.
But the Ele Relocation was put on hold. So I had to go to Tsavo for another reason.
It took some doing to figure all this out. Because of the internal flights and all the distance here. But it all worked out! With the help of Eco-Resorts, and Fox Safaris.
Mikumi they say is not much of a park. It is used for a stop over for the other parks in Southern Tanz. I stayed 3nts. I would have stayed a 4th.
It turned out very nice. A very nice and informative camp manager, Tim.
Good driver & guide too. I had my own driver/guide for 3 days. I can thank Tim for that.
He knew right away this is serious stuff for me. We talked about the Lions here and in Ruaha. They are here. But we didn't find them till the last day. It was worth it. I just missed much Lion action by a couple of weeks! They have moved off. It is too bad most of the park has no road net-work. Maybe they will change that.
I am not one to rush from a sight. I was not about to leave these ladies so fast. Most other people do. We stayed for almost 1hr!! We talked, had a few drinks, filmed ect. t was GREAT!! As it turned out. I was the visitor at camp those 3 days. That saw any Lion! I did take many pics & video.
Just like with any other park. You could drive for a long time and not see a damn thing! Thats the time to try and do some spotting. Or even better. Ask your driver questions. Let him know you are interested in things. Or aware of things.
For example, I noticed there was almost no Elephant damage here. Compared to other parks. Hardly any bones lying around. Things like that. Because there will be times when you will drive and drive. Try to make it enjoyable for you and your driver.
As a small note. Because of my very good friend Kelly at work. I always take these pics for her. She is on my mind trying to find these CATS! Thats what I tell people at the camps. About my friend who needs to see Lions!!
I know most girls are not into insects. But this was really COOL! A Walking Stick inside my tent door. When I saw it, I thought right away. Why is this piece of grass hanging here? Looking closer, I said NO-WAY!!
Knew what it was. I took some shots & video. Looks like a huge Preying-Mantis. When it was all folded up. It looked like a piece of dry grass. I wondered how it got in here. I went to the bar area. Got my Bar-Tender buddy. He has never seen one. We took it outside. Took more pics ect. Then moved it on.
I saw a few strange insects this trip.
I like this one. I like Preying-Mantis any way.
I have found that SEPT is a tough month for Sun-Sets any way. At times there are also Hills & Mountains in the way. Or you are facing the wrong way. Or at a bad location. But when you do have a good one! Make sure you take that pic!!!!! I had a couple of good night Sun-Sets at Mikumi. This is one of them. When I take Sun-Sets. I try to take the shots as I see the sky change. I also tried to use the video at Ruaha for a Sun-set.
Everyone likes Sun-Sets.
- Pros:Much Game, Great Landscape, Nice Camp
- Cons:Not Enough Roads, Little Bit of TSE-TSE FLIES
- In a nutshell:I Stayed 3nts, Wanted To Stay A 4th nt!
safardreams' Related Pages
Mikumi National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Free game viewing"
- "True wilderness"
- "Mzuri-Sanas' of Mikumi"
- "Mikumi National Park"
- "Elephants on the Highway!"
- "very lively wild safari drive"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mikumi National Park
- Hotels in Mikumi National Park
- Nightlife in Mikumi National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mikumi National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mikumi National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mikumi National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mikumi National Park
Photos in Mikumi National ParkSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 150 reviews, 185 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya Intro, 100 reviews, 165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 75 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zimbabwe Intro, 75 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park West Intro, 61 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 66 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park East Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 67 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 35 reviews, 38 photos