"Croc & Wilderbeast Battle / Mara River 10/19/05" Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve by safardreams

Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Guide: 522 reviews and 1,599 photos

The Power of the Great Migration

The Beast fought and struggled to get away from the HUGE CROC. The Beast had the Croc half way out of the water. Did the Beast get away? Did the Croc let go? Or did the Beast Perish into the Mara River?
So many people asked why such a short time to go all that way? They don't get it I guess. Unless you have been there. You never will. It is so easy to get there. Life is too short to worry about is it worth it or not, too much time to get there, not enough time there ect.Trust me it is ALL WORTH IT.
I went for the GREAT WILDEBEAST & ZEBRA MIGRATION. Hoping it was still there. It was! In full swing and going strong. I always stay at the TALEK RIVER camp site near the TALEK GATE. But, we took a left turn away from that gate most days to head to the West side of the Mara.Thats where the MIGRATION is. We have to cross what they call: DOUBLE CROSS. You need a 4x4 truck. When it's this wet and that much mud. No minni-van can get there. My Land Rover was almost riding side ways in the Mud Walls. We had water half way up the doors.My truck skidded and danced in the mud like in our snow & ice at home in winter.Kashu my driver plays in this stuff all the time now. Like a kid. He loves it. Along with the Wildebeast & Zebra. We had many Lions, Vultures, of course Mud, check this out. Cheetah twice in 1 day on trucks. The same Cheetah. This pretty thing has a habit of doing that in that area. The morn drive we stayed for 1hr watching this Cheetah. Many stills & video.We thought she would clime into the truck with the 2 people. But she stayed on the edge of the opening.The late drive, same Cheetah on top of the roof. These people looked scared. No pics were being taken. Too bad.We knew that Masai driver. He was touching her tail. All on video. Awesome sights. But it was time to go. He started up the truck she strutted her stuff and walked off.
10's of thousands of Wildebeasts. Armies covering the MARA PLAINS. A carcass there another carcass there. Time to take a full day drive and head to the MAIN CROSSING point. AND WAIT! We stopped off to the side in the shade. Had some snacks, beers, soda. Walked to the egde of the river ledge. Saw Hippos, Crocs, Racing water.There was 4 trucks that came through the Herds to the crossing point. After 5mins, they came out to have some lunch and relax. Thinking they had time. THEY DIDN'T! Kashu, then said it's time to go over there. We can't see the Crossing Point. So how did he know? Gut feeling, insticnt, masai magic? We drove through the Herds I stood up. The animals were cossing the River. Kashu punched the gas.There were 4 trucks there waiting all morning. We parked with them.The video is rolling. 2 lines of Wildebeasts crossing. I didn't see the Croc yet. Little Moses from camp spotted it. I found the Croc.Getting ready to makes it's move. Beasts are starting to jump over the Croc. Then the Croc tried a couple of lazy grabs. Then all of a sudded he tried a wide open mouth head swing grab! But missed. Beasts are still jumping over the Croc.The Croc changed sides. Still trying to grab a Beast. There is so much confusion and mayhem.The Croc grabbed a Beast by the back leg. I didn't see it right away. The Beast was trying to drag the Croc out of the water. Almost did. The Beast was out of the water. The Croc was half way out of the water. Huge Croc , Huge Wildebeast. The Beast tried and tried. Then in a second the POWER of the CROC swung his head and neck to his right.Threw the Wildebeast into the water. Still, the Beast did not want to go down.The Croc Swung again and tossed the Beast over. The Beast still trying to fight and get away. But it was done now. At least 6 times the Beast tried to safe itself from drowning. Was fighting till only the tips of the Wildebeast Horns was sticking out of the water. WOW! Unbelieveable Fight to the Death.
Those other trucks that went around the corner to have lunch. They missed the whole thing. Sucks to be them. Great to be us. Kashu said they won't try again for another 2 or 3 days to cross now. I saw this ONLY because of my driver: RICHARD KASHU.

"MWAZIMU/MADNESS!"

My Masai Driver : Kashu & I. Nicked named this part of the 2004 safari:
MARA-MADNESS!! It started even before we got to the public camp site. There was so much MUD & RAIN. The truck turned SIDE-WAYS! Almost tipped over. That was only the beginning! The mud in someplaces had to be 10 ins deep!
Of course my LAND-ROVER will not get stuck. Others did HA-HA!!
Three nts in the MARA. It was WONDERFUL. The MIGRATION was still in full swing. There was so much food there. The WILDERBEAST & ZEBRAS refuse to LEAVE. That brings me to the BIG-CATS! MANY ! T-L's will be needed.
Almost got lucky being on film for ANIMAL PLANET! There was also a VERY CUTE Asian girl in one of the trucks. While watching some of these BIG-CATS. That was on my last Morning drive in the MARA. Yes I have a couple of pics of her. I couldn't resist. Any way, Plenty of DEAD BODIES around. The FELINES and other KILLERS were having a field day! Glad I brought the video with me. I have so much with THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of animals racing across the MARA!
That is an HONOR to be able to SEE it & HEAR it!
For 3 evenings between about 4pm & 7pm. It rained HARD! The first time that much rain, MUD & GREEN!
My LAND-ROVER was dancing so much in the MUD. I called it MARA-SNOW! Thats what it felt like. Of course, KASHU would not know that. But he loved the saying. It also looks great on video.
I think this is was my favorite MARA visit. With my new driver KASHU , my old reliable cook LUCAS! It was GREAT!!
It seems many people really like this LION pic.
So, what I may do. Is start changing the main pic from time to time.
Leave a comment. Take a look through things. Please , no need to rate. I prefer comments.
So, go on safari. Enjoy the excitiment. Help out the parks at the same time!
Oh by the way. Mwazimu is Swahili for MADNESS!!!!!
Enjoy The Ride!

I Shall Have My Own Big Cat Diary

I could never think of my self on ANIMAL PLANETS- BIG-CAT DIARY! But I would have loved it.
On Sept 28th 2004. On the way in from camp. We ran into the first of many BIG-CAT cars. I knew it would be a good drive! My last few hrs on a morning game drive in the MUDDY-MARA-MADNESS! I can not say here what we found. But it was ALL-GOOD!
This is the drive we spotted the Asian Cutie! I would have never guessed these trucks would be here. Oh, I want to say so bad what we saw. But you will have to wait for a bit. Until I put together a T-L. Check back another time : )
How I did not want to LEAVE! Now I can't wait to get back.
Are you people ready to visit yet? What is it that I have to do, to get you people to go?
How can anything beat this?
Take in the MADNESS. Take in the
ADVENTURE!

• Pros:Too much fun, excitement, action, not knowing !
  • Cons:At times, too many people at the same thing. Don't worry, they never stay!
  • In a nutshell:Stay as long there as you can!
  • Last visit to Masai Mara Game Reserve: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 9, 2006

• dharmabum222's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Incredible big cat photos David. Thank you for sharing them.

• Mar 5, 2007 at 2:10 AM

Dusk on Giraffes-Totally awesome photo! So yeah, I'm telling you I like this pic!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I can just imagine needing a "baboon-proof kitchen." Gets pretty crazy in my own without them. Sounds like a wondrous trip, I would've needed a very large zoom camera to get those lion & blood shots...ewwww.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2006 at 5:26 AM

Hi David. Lovely tips, stories & great photos! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Greetings from another animal-lover :-) Jess

• May 6, 2006 at 4:44 AM

I'm not much into Safari/ animal travel but ur pics and stories are cool. I'm more into people and different cultures the masai people are realy intresting. Their is so much i don't know about Africa. Would love to go their next after Central Asia :-) tc

• janicewilson's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 4:23 PM

Not what I had in mind for sports travel, but much much better!

• lovelypearl's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 12:03 PM

lovely pages, keep it up dear.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 4:00 PM

What an interesting and wonderful place! I love your lady simba and big cat photos, absolutely wonderful...

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 11:30 AM

Those zebra sound like politicians. No purpose...they just race and race!!!!!!!!

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 7:58 PM

i like how i can read how excited you got writing about this trip!! this is good stuff! =)

safardreams Visits Here Frequently!

safardreams

“my Taita and I at the local cruise night.”

Badges & Stats in Masai Mara Game Reserve

Have you been to Masai Mara Game Reserve?

Photos in Masai Mara Game Reserve