"Tsavo East's DARKNESS, BEAUTY & ADVENTURE!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park East by safardreams

Tsavo National Park East Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 293 photos

Take A Look At This Poster! THEN GO VISIT!

TSAVO PARK is a special place for me. Maybe the MAN-EATING LIONS!! The rail road called: THE LUNATIC-LINE! But it's the elephants!! Up until about 20 or 25 years ago there were around 40,000 elephants in TSAVO!!
Drought and mostly POACHING
killed almost all of them. Along with the RHINOS!! TAKE A LOOK AT THIS DAMNED POSTER! Hung up at the VIO GATE into the park. It's been there for yrs. I saw it in 2002. But didn't think to take a picture of it. This time I did not FAIL! This trip to TSAVO. At first plan was to witness and Elephant relocation. From SHIMBA HILLS to TSAVO EAST. It is put off till MARCH 2005. Now that I think of it. It is a bit IRONIC they pick that month. That was the month in 2002 when they had the ELEPHANT SLAUGHTER in NORTH TSAVO EAST. I was asked if I could come back in MARCH to be a part of it. But it would be too soon. The KWS ASST. DIR. asked me this him self! I felt pretty honored by that. I will get into it later. I was able to visit with my ADOPTD ELEPHANT. I had a special visit with my KWS RANGER friend. Also had an ARMED KWS escort to the MAN-EATERS LION CAVES. That as it turnes out is in TSAVO WEST. I'll put that story in that page.Three nights here again. Was so SPECAIL! Now I know for sure. After reading the book
THE END OF THE GAME, by:
PETER BEARD. I knew TSAVO was
special to me. Because of the wild
and the elephants! There may be only around 8000 between TSAVO
EAST and WEST.
I only saw one TUSKER in TSAVO EAST. That only comes close to the one you see here in the poster. I was told there a few like this one. I have yet to see. Can anyone imagine the AWE of seeing a TUSKER like this? KENYA had THOUSANDS like this BULL. Almost all ended up like his BUDDY here. I encourage you travelers to go and visit these PARKS. The KWS and the PARKS system needs the FUNDS. You may get lucky and run into a TUSKER like this! If you do. I WANT A PICTURE OF HIM.
There are many other game here.
The place is so wild! No fences, no
baby-sitters!! It's hard to find the CATS here. They are here! But when you find it, you will have it all to yourself!! Hardly anyone around.
There elephants, geranuks, giraffes
and the dirt are all RED!! Many other things here.
The elephants wrecked
the place back in the 70's & 80,s
trying not to starve to death! They
really were kept from leaving the area. They were also afraid. Thats
the result. STARVATION & POACHING!!

My Adopted Baby, Named: TSAVO

One of the missions I had while staying at TSAVO EAST. Was to visit my ADOPTED ELE, NAMED TSAVO.I do this through the SHELDICK'S WILDLIFE TRUST. As of now. I have the link on my HOME PAGE. He was found wandering around the RAIL ROAD. Not sure what happened to his mother. But he is a BIG & HEALTY 3 AND A HALF YR OLD. Already getting good TUSKS. Big for his age. I found out about the org. through a friend of mine in BOSTON, MASS. She has been to KENYA 6 TIMES! She has many adopted Eles. Check out the site. It is easy and harmless to ADOPT or even give to a special units they have. DE-SNARING & MOBILE VETS. Very good work and important. He will stay here till about 7yrs old. They will release him and others in NORTHERN TSAVO EAST. They spend most of the day out in the WILD with KEEPERS. It is a long story. Check out the WEB-SITE. You will get the picture. But this was a treat. I hope to see him again when he's GROWN. This place is right near the KWS STATION. At VOI GATE. As long as you have a copy of your adopted cert. You can visit your ELE BABY. This is a good thing what the Sheldrick's have been doing for yrs. Also, you KNOW where your money is going. DAVID SHELDRICK, the first WARDEN in TSAVO. Passed away in the 70's. It was right after that. The HEAVY POACHING started. I wonder now. If he hadn't passed away. If things would have been DIFFERENT!
Handsome Boy I have here!

KWS Ranger: Quri Huka

The LEADER of the RANGERS. That HUNTED & KILLED the POACHERS of this 2002 SLAUGHTER! We are geat friends now. I spent a long time trying to arange for him to come visit with us while staying at TSAVO. He was there waiting for me! He came all the way from NORTH TSAVO EAST. Where he and his men patrol. A LONG WAY! I was so happy to see him. After 2yrs!! He stayed with us for 3 days. He took us to SATAO CAMP. He got us to see the
SNARE-ROOM of SHELDRICK'S place at the station. We had LIONS near SATAO CAMP. He brought off road. So we could get a better look. Which is fobidden by the way!
A proud RANGER. Very glad to have a friend from so far away. He knows no English. He wanted so much to talk to me. My driver KASHU, helped with that. This soft spoken easy going man. You would never know he does what he does for a living!
More on him in another section.
Following is the story about the 2002 visit.
Me with the: KENYA WILDLIFE SERVICE. Great and BRAVE men!
I learned about an elephant slaughter march/april 2002. I decided then I had to go back. I
needed to go to the site! With the
help of my tour op. and e-mailing
and becoming friends with one of
the KWS directors. I was able to go
to the FORBIDDEN-ZONE! North
of the GALANA RIVER. These men were so happy to have us. They showed us everthing. These are the
RANGERS who hunted and had the gun battle with the SOMALI-POACHERS!! But, with only one truck
needing more men. They were a day behind the POACHERS!
My need to go I can't explain! All I
know is I wanted to stay and fight with them!! TSAVO-EAST was more
than RED! It was BLOOD-RED!!
If more people went, this wouldn't happen! Please go and visit!
I plan on it!!!!

• Pros:Many wild-elephants. Place to yourself. Beautiful park.
  • Cons:Tough to find the cats!
  • In a nutshell:WOULD GO BACK IN A HEART-BEAT!!
  • Last visit to Tsavo National Park East: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2004

• janicewilson's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Fantastic. Your passion for elephants is very persuasive.

• alusru's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2005 at 9:24 AM

David you are right, I have to go back for sure. In Feb. this year I was my first time in Africa and it is only the beginning! Have a great trip ... I am a bit envy :o) Ursula

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2005 at 11:50 AM

Incredible stories and amazing pictures. Great to read about your passion for elephants. David, thanks you will take pictures of our adopted Tomboi, when you are in Tsavo the next time.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 4:49 PM

Your right this travelogue is equally as troubling! Thanks for referring me here.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 4:21 PM

WOW! It's one of the best pages I have ever seen on VT! Amazing pics, stories, tips and great destination and adventure! And you are a VT King of travelogues - do you know a queen? :-)

• Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 8:43 PM

If you have a baby as cute as Tsavo, then maybe I should adopt one to keep him company! :o) Updates are great!!

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 7:08 AM

It is sad to know that Elephants are killed. :-( Nice updates David. So you have adopted elephant, I hope you get seen it again soon. :-)

• Travelchili's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 2:49 PM

Great pictures and stories! I can't wait to see more wild elephants - they are such fantastic creatures!

• laughingsun69's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2004 at 7:50 PM

Great pages and info i feel like ive been on safari again ..koool,very inspiring stuff cheers :)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2003 at 8:45 AM

Love the wildlife photos, especially the elephants which I love. All I can say is , you were so lucky to be there.

safardreams

“my Taita and I at the local cruise night.”

Badges & Stats in Tsavo National Park East

Have you been to Tsavo National Park East?