"Home Of The: MAN-EATERS of TSAVO!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park West by safardreams
Tsavo National Park West Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 304 photos
Do you know the movie:
THE GHOST and THE DARKNESS? That movie was based on this event!
When the "LUNATIC LINE". The nick-name of the rail road. That was being bulit in 1898. Then two HUGE MALE MANELESS LIONS went on a RAMPAGE! KILLING, DRAGGING, EATING the rail workers. Were they HUNGRY, SICK or just TICKED OFF! My other visits to TSAVO. I had no idea it was possible to visit the MAN-EATERS home. But this time I asked my RANGER friend Joyce. Who at the time was stationed at VOI, TSAVO EAST. About checking this out! With her help, I was able to set up a walk to the LION CAVE. The CAVE as it turns out. Is located in TSAVO WEST. I was camping in TSAVO EAST. It is only about a 20min ride up MOMBASA HIGH WAY. There, my second KWS RANGER was waiting for us. My MASAI driver dropped us off some ways up the road from the GATE. He was told to go back there! So, with my friend: QURI & new friend MARTIN. We walked a good pace for about an hour. Through the TSAVO BUSH & THORNS! Talk about the: "THE WAIT A MINUTE BUSH!" I got hung up a few times!
It was very HOT and very EXCITING! Walking with two ARMED KWS RANGERS. MARTIN had a: AK-47.
You could tell, even with a visitor. They were HOANING their SKILLS. These guys have to HUNT & KILL POACHERS!
As we got closer, MARTIN. Who spoke English Quite well. Started the MAN -EATERS STORY! Very COOL! We stayed for about an hour. There were also BATS flying in and out of the cave. My first time seeing those!
Then we had another good hike back. We called my driver. He met us at the pick up point.
When you go to TSAVO. Ask about this. You hire two RANGERS for about $15.00US PER RANGER. You need to take two RANGERS. THATS THE RULES! It is worth it! I felt I saw History. Felt I was part of HISTORY! Also have some good VIDEO of this.
THANKS KWS. THANKS : QURI & MARTIN!
The BACK n WHITE ,and the COLOR photos I have of all this. Look the same as the PHOTOS at the Field Museum, in Chicago. They were forgotten in the early 1900,s. Then they were found again in 1997 I think. Because of that Museum's web site. I asked about visiting this place. YOU CAN TOO! We climed on top of the ROCKS. Scanned the area. That is the same FIG TREE from over 100yrs ago! Martin was so HAPPY to share this with a client. As it turns. I was the first visitor to go and see this place!
I think I will give the MAN-EATERS a T-L!
Here is the link to the Field Museum's MAN-EATERS! There are 4 things to click on. You can't miss them. ENJOY and COMPARE.
Dead Buffalo, Lion print, OX-Peckers
on Giraffe, & Elephant! There is plenty of game here. But didn't see
much dead game. Didn't see Lion
but found this Lion print near MZIMA
SPRINGS! The OX-PECKERS,
taking tics for dinner! The Elephant,
WELL, our truck wouldn't start. The
battery terminal was full of CRUD!!
The guys were trying to clean it and
hope it starts before the BEAST gets
upset! But they turned around and left!!
Last years trip was different than this
years.Not better, just different! I spent more time here explored more
ground! The TSAVO PARKS, worth
a stay and explore. OH, TO BE HERE ABOUT 50 YEARS AGO. WHEN THERE WERE AROUND 30,000 TO 40,000 ELEPHANTS HERE!! but they all got "killed!!!!!"
This is from my 2002 safari.
- Pros:Place all to yourself, very wild, no baby-sitters!
- Cons:Hard to find the cats here. They are here!
- In a nutshell:It feels like it's your KINGDOM!!!!!
MACHARICA, the BEST DRIVER in KENYA!! Has this thing abut checking our: LAND-ROVER!! Good routine to... more travel advice
safardreams' Related Pages
Tsavo National Park West Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tsavo West"
- "Home Of The: MAN-EATERS of TSAVO!"
- "Tsavo National Park West"
- "TSAVO WEST"
- "Tsavo West National Park"
- "Tsavo National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tsavo National Park West
- Hotels in Tsavo National Park West
- Transportation in Tsavo National Park West
- Nightlife in Tsavo National Park West
- Warnings and Dangers in Tsavo National Park West
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tsavo National Park West
- 61 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Tsavo National Park West?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tsavo National Park West
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: the planned serengeti highway"
- Uploaded a Photo to "tsavo west"
- updated a Tsavo National Park West Travelogue "tsavo west"
- Commented on one of sigg's Tsavo National Park West travel pages
- Wrote a Review Armed KWS RANGERS in Tsavo National Park West Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Tsavo National Park WestSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 150 reviews, 185 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya Intro, 100 reviews, 165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 75 reviews, 100 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zimbabwe Intro, 75 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park West Intro, 61 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 66 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park East Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 67 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 35 reviews, 38 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Tsavo National Park West hotel reviews
- Voyager Ziwani, Tsavo West
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013