"Home Of The: MAN-EATERS of TSAVO!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park West by safardreams

Tsavo National Park West Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 304 photos

1898, The MAN-EATERS Lived, Killed & Ate Here!

Do you know the movie:
THE GHOST and THE DARKNESS? That movie was based on this event!
When the "LUNATIC LINE". The nick-name of the rail road. That was being bulit in 1898. Then two HUGE MALE MANELESS LIONS went on a RAMPAGE! KILLING, DRAGGING, EATING the rail workers. Were they HUNGRY, SICK or just TICKED OFF! My other visits to TSAVO. I had no idea it was possible to visit the MAN-EATERS home. But this time I asked my RANGER friend Joyce. Who at the time was stationed at VOI, TSAVO EAST. About checking this out! With her help, I was able to set up a walk to the LION CAVE. The CAVE as it turns out. Is located in TSAVO WEST. I was camping in TSAVO EAST. It is only about a 20min ride up MOMBASA HIGH WAY. There, my second KWS RANGER was waiting for us. My MASAI driver dropped us off some ways up the road from the GATE. He was told to go back there! So, with my friend: QURI & new friend MARTIN. We walked a good pace for about an hour. Through the TSAVO BUSH & THORNS! Talk about the: "THE WAIT A MINUTE BUSH!" I got hung up a few times!
It was very HOT and very EXCITING! Walking with two ARMED KWS RANGERS. MARTIN had a: AK-47.
You could tell, even with a visitor. They were HOANING their SKILLS. These guys have to HUNT & KILL POACHERS!
As we got closer, MARTIN. Who spoke English Quite well. Started the MAN -EATERS STORY! Very COOL! We stayed for about an hour. There were also BATS flying in and out of the cave. My first time seeing those!
Then we had another good hike back. We called my driver. He met us at the pick up point.
When you go to TSAVO. Ask about this. You hire two RANGERS for about $15.00US PER RANGER. You need to take two RANGERS. THATS THE RULES! It is worth it! I felt I saw History. Felt I was part of HISTORY! Also have some good VIDEO of this.
THANKS KWS. THANKS : QURI & MARTIN!

No MAN-EATERS Here!

The BACK n WHITE ,and the COLOR photos I have of all this. Look the same as the PHOTOS at the Field Museum, in Chicago. They were forgotten in the early 1900,s. Then they were found again in 1997 I think. Because of that Museum's web site. I asked about visiting this place. YOU CAN TOO! We climed on top of the ROCKS. Scanned the area. That is the same FIG TREE from over 100yrs ago! Martin was so HAPPY to share this with a client. As it turns. I was the first visitor to go and see this place!
I think I will give the MAN-EATERS a T-L!
Here is the link to the Field Museum's MAN-EATERS! There are 4 things to click on. You can't miss them. ENJOY and COMPARE.

"Wild-Wild Tsavo West!"

Dead Buffalo, Lion print, OX-Peckers
on Giraffe, & Elephant! There is plenty of game here. But didn't see
much dead game. Didn't see Lion
but found this Lion print near MZIMA
SPRINGS! The OX-PECKERS,
taking tics for dinner! The Elephant,
WELL, our truck wouldn't start. The
battery terminal was full of CRUD!!
The guys were trying to clean it and
hope it starts before the BEAST gets
upset! But they turned around and left!!
Last years trip was different than this
years.Not better, just different! I spent more time here explored more
ground! The TSAVO PARKS, worth
a stay and explore. OH, TO BE HERE ABOUT 50 YEARS AGO. WHEN THERE WERE AROUND 30,000 TO 40,000 ELEPHANTS HERE!! but they all got "killed!!!!!"
This is from my 2002 safari.

• Pros:Place all to yourself, very wild, no baby-sitters!
  • Cons:Hard to find the cats here. They are here!
  • In a nutshell:It feels like it's your KINGDOM!!!!!
  • Last visit to Tsavo National Park West: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 13, 2005

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Incredible photos. Thank you for sharing. The movie had been one of our favorites for a long time. Now I know where it took place.

• Krumel's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2004 at 7:41 AM

Got to see the greatgreatgreatgreatgreat...grandsons of those lions, but never saw the cave. Must have felt weird to be there, knowing what had happened there.

• snoopycat's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 5:13 PM

Great Page, Safar! Makes me want to go back to Kenya.

• thinking's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 12:09 PM

WOW! The two guys are scary guarding that cave.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 7:50 AM

Great adventure you had there. Thanks for sharing all this info with us. :) Well done David!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2004 at 2:15 PM

Looks like you had a fabulous trip outthere!! Great page!

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2003 at 3:37 PM

The giraffes are here! :-)

• Aug 21, 2003 at 5:55 PM

you really like that white truck. not nervous with the animals near camp. ed

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2003 at 10:42 PM

Just amazing animals that you have seen! You've got some amazing pictures!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2003 at 6:28 PM

Brilliant pics of the wildlife ! My favorite is once more the Hyrax, the " elephant " you may take home as a playmate for your cats...

safardreams

“my Taita and I at the local cruise night.”

Badges & Stats in Tsavo National Park West

Have you been to Tsavo National Park West?

Latest Activity in Tsavo National Park West