"Jayhawk2000's Sherman TX" Sherman by jayhawk2000
Sherman Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 42 photos
My brother moved to Sherman a couple years ago and this was my first visit to see him and his new wife, who was born and raised in the town. Sherman is halfway between the bright lights of Dallas and the wooded shores of Lake Texoma.
Sherman is on the verge of becoming a city of about 40,000 people. It has long been a prosperous town benefitting from a long tradition in higher education and oil. It now suffers from a sprawl of shopping malls, parking lots, cheap apartments and ugly 'prestige' homes but the large downtown district is quite handsome. There is an interesting local museum and some excellent independent eateries which along with the shopping would make this a worthwhile stop for anyone coming through on Highway 75.
Aside from a trip to see an uncle when I was about 5 years sold, I had not been to Texas before. Like my brother says, few people are as proud of their state as the Texans. He has learned like many other incomers to say 'I am not from Texas, but I got here as fast as I can.'
One of the draws is the lack of a state income tax. This means the Texan shore of Lake Texoma play host to yachting clubs, marinas, enormous houses, Troy Aikman's condo and Ross Perot's summer home to which he commutes by helicopter. By comparison, Oklahoma's shoreline is empty of development. Perhaps people there are throwing all their spare cash into the slot machines of the nearest casino?!
Saturdays mean one thing in Sherman - all you can eat burgers and fries at MG's Diner for $5. In business for over 25... more travel advice
jayhawk2000's Related Pages
Sherman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sherman, Texas--Home of The Red River Museum"
- "Keeweechic's Sherman"
- "Jayhawk2000's Sherman TX"
- "Sherman, Tx"
- "Basaic Sherman Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sherman
- Transportation in Sherman
- Restaurants in Sherman
- Shopping in Sherman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sherman
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Sherman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sherman
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lindos Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 20 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Exeter Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos