"A great beauty restored" Top 5 Page for this destination Hildesheim by jayhawk2000
Hildesheim Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 219 photos
Hildesheim is home to a world class collection of ancient churches which have earned it a UNESCO designation.
The main square is lovely, but pretty much all fake following a lengthy rebuilding programme. A firebomb decimated the city centre during WWII and after a few decades of putting up with concrete monstrosities the city fathers took the decision to restore the historic core.
So contrary to appearances some of the buildings are only 30 years old!
It looks like the restoration continues though...this photo is of St Michaels, which was closed at the time of our visit. We were a bit sad to miss it, apparently it has a magnificent ceiling inside.
Hildesheim is one corner of a triangle in Saxony that includes Hannover and Brunswick/Braunschweig. We added in excursions to Kassel and Celle for an interesting tour of the region over the 2006 Easter weekend.
We journeyed everywhere by train. For instance, a single ticket from Hannover to Hildesheim cost 6.20 euros for a trip that took 45 minutes. It was another 45 minutes from Hildesheim to Braunschweig, on a trip that cost 7.60 euros.
We had two meals in Hildesheim, an average Italian pasta at Capri and a very good breakfast at Cafe Ubersee. There... more travel advice
jayhawk2000's Related Pages
Hildesheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Hildesheim"
- "The Cathedral City"
- "A great beauty restored"
- "Welcome to HILDESHEIM"
- "HildesheimBack to the roots"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hildesheim
- Hotels in Hildesheim
- Transportation in Hildesheim
- Nightlife in Hildesheim
- Restaurants in Hildesheim
- Shopping in Hildesheim
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hildesheim
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Hildesheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hildesheim
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lindos Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 20 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Exeter Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos