"Salina, the center of I-70" Salina by jayhawk2000
Salina Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 57 photos
Salina made world headlines in March 2005 when its airport runway saw the take-off and landing of the GlobalFlyer on Steve Fossett's solo, non-stop round the world flight.
On my last visit to the city, Salina felt like 'Lawrence-lite' to me...it's another cultured arts colony/college town combo, although not nearly on the same scale.
The downtown has many family owned shops selling local crafts, quilts and antiques, plus independent bookstores, coffee shops and an arthouse cinema. There's evidence of a thriving Mexican community as well.
The town is well known for its Art Deco buildings, but it's a shame the weather wasn't ideal during my visit or else I would've taken more photos.
Nor did I have time then to see any of the local museums (one for local history is downtown, another dedicated to farm machinery is just off I-70).
North of town is one of the state's best wineries, while south of town is Wes Jackson's revolutionary Land Institute agricultural research center.
Salina is midway through Kansas on I-70 at the top end of I-135. You're bound to come through here at some point if traveling around the state
It's worth stopping off for awhile to use it as your base to strike out for some wonderful days out.
For instance there's the Eisenhower Presidential center in Abilene, with its many stately homes...
...and Swedish Lindsborg with its art galleries, bakeries and craft shops...
...plus Rock City near Minneapolis, not far north of Salina (photo).
And you're very near to the old Wild West cowtown, Ellsworth...
...the ghost town Carneiro, the abandoned fort at Kanopolis and the weird Mushroom Rocks...
...plus wonderful Wilson with its awesome lake...
So take some time and explore my other pages for these locations!
- Pros:central location, nice downtown, plenty to see in the immediate area
- Cons:your usual soulless strip development and Wal-Mart hypermania
- In a nutshell:Lots of diversions if you're passing through!
The world beat a path to Salina in March 2005 when Steve Fossett used the local airport as Mission Control for the... more travel advice
Wes Jackson's Land Institute is an agricultural research center established by the author of books like 'New Roots for... more travel advice
jayhawk2000's Related Pages
Salina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salina - take a break from Interstate 70"
- "WELCOME TO SALINA, KANSAS"
- "Salina, the center of I-70"
- "brdwtchr's new Salina Page"
- "royharper's Salina Page"
- "John195123's new Salina Page"
- "SALINE COUNTY SEAT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salina
- Hotels in Salina
- Transportation in Salina
- Nightlife in Salina
- Restaurants in Salina
- Shopping in Salina
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Salina
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Salina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salina
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lindos Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 20 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Exeter Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos