Lawrence Transportation Tips by jayhawk2000 Top 5 Page for this destination
Lawrence Transportation: 6 reviews and 7 photos
Lawrence finally has a decent modern bus network after years of depending on rattling antiques borrowed by the university from Wichita. The routes are comprehensive and the service impeccable; I found the drivers exceedingly friendly and helpful. It costs 50 cents for a ride.
County courthouse on Mass St
To orientate yourself in Lawrence, hark back to your high school history class. In a unique plan, the north-south streets in Lawrence are named after the American states...in the order they entered the Union! This plan ensured downtown centers on Massachusetts Street to honor the natives of that state who founded Lawrence in 1851. Nowadays this street is usually just called 'Mass.'
Mass is one of four streets that you'll occasionally hear referred to as 'the square.' The square consists of the major roads the enclose the University of Kansas. Mass is the east edge, 23rd Street ('Hamburger Alley') borders the south, Iowa makes the west edge and 6th Street completes the square on the north side. The two numbered streets are infested with bland strip malls, gas stations and supermarkets. Both Iowa and Mass connect to Interstate 70/Kansas Toll Road across the river at the West and East Lawrence interchanges respectively.
During the six-mile circuit of these four streets (called 'shooting the square') you'll pass through or near Downtown, the University of Kansas and Old West Lawrence.
More Reviews (18)
- See All Superb bakery
- See All Superstitions
- See All Ying and Yang
- See All Lawrence's other university
- See All Lawrence's Visitor Center
jayhawk2000's Related Pages
Lawrence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "University Drives the Growth"
- "Lawrence, Kansas"
- "Home of the Phog"
- "Culture And Progression on The Plains"
- "jayhawk's new Lawrence page"
- "brdwtchr's new Lawrence Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lawrence
- Hotels in Lawrence
- Transportation in Lawrence
- Nightlife in Lawrence
- Restaurants in Lawrence
- Shopping in Lawrence
- Warnings and Dangers in Lawrence
- See All...
Explore the World
- Netherlands Hotels
- Youngstown Hotels
- Little Dent Island Hotels
- Narragansett Hotels
- La Roche-en-Ardenne
Badges & Stats in Lawrence
- 20 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Lawrence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lawrence
Photos in LawrenceSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lindos Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 20 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Exeter Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Lawrence hotel reviews
- Springhill Suites By Marriott Lawrence
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Motel 6 Lawrence
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Econo Lodge Lawrence
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Eldridge Hotel
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Best Value Hallmark Inn
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Americas Best Value Inn Lawrence
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013