"Kanopolis" Kanopolis by jayhawk2000
Kanopolis Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos
Buzzards Roost is a local landmark at the junction of state highways 140 and 141 about 10 miles east of Kanopolis. This is a beautiful part of Kansas, with lots of hills, wooded riverbeds and colourful soil and stone.
In addition to the fort you will find Mushroom Rock State Park, Kanopolis Lake and the cowtown Ellsworth all within a few miles of Kanopolis.
Go on, pull off I-70 and see some things lovely, historic and bizarre!
A collection of huge weird stones sit in a field south of the ghost town Carniero, whose name means 'sheepfold' in Portuguese.
You've heard of Dodge and Abilene, but Ellsworth was also a notorious cowtown where railcars were loaded with cattle driven up from Texas.
I'm building a separate Ellsworth page so you can see more of its interesting heritage and hear about its rip-snorting days!
A few blocks east of the main fort grounds you will find a trio of commanding officers' quarters. Two of these are now... more travel advice
jayhawk2000's Related Pages
Kanopolis Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kanopolis
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Kanopolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanopolis
Photos in KanopolisSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lindos Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 20 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Exeter Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos