"Independence, America" Independence by jayhawk2000

Independence Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 14 photos

I can't think of a better name for an American town...and I can't think of a better American town, period! How should I know? I grew up on a farm down the road from Independence and for us it was always 'our town.'

Independence boasts a prosperous downtown, a magnificent park and zoo, several small museums and many impressive homes and churches.

Nearby is a reconstruction of Laura Ingalls Wilder's 'Little House on the Prairie' and the wooded shores of Elk City Lake with its state park.

But by far the best thing about Independence is its annual Halloween festival, NEEWOLLAH, the biggest party in the state!

• Last visit to Independence: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2005

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 8:15 PM

Funny this showed up today. I just ran across repeat episodes on TV Land last night. I loved that show when I was growing up.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 6:16 PM

Great and very personalised tip. Exactly what VT should be about, in my humble opinion! fergy.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 12:53 PM

I'll be driving through Kansas (again) in a few weeks. You tempt me to plot my path through Independence. Would love to see the Little House on the Prairie.

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 2:39 AM

What an interesting little house on the prairie. I wish I could go there one day.

• chercarousel's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 4:15 PM

My dream is to visit all the site of where Laura Ingalls Wilder lived.

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 3:00 AM

I grew up on the Little house books! Thanks for sharing the tip and pix.

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 5:11 PM

A picture of the old 1040!!! I don't know how many times I've climbed all over that old engine. Thanks for the memories -- our family reunions always took place just 2 blocks south of the park.

jayhawk2000 Used To Live Here!

jayhawk2000

“The only Kansas farmboy to ever subscribe to Utne Reader”

Badges & Stats in Independence

Have you been to Independence?

Latest Activity in Independence