"Braunschweig" Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig by jayhawk2000

Braunschweig Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 553 photos

Originally a clutch of about a half dozen villages in an island in the river, these settlements merged over the years to form the city of Braunschweig (Brunswick, in English). Each neighbourhood retains its parish church, marketplace and guildhall.

At the centre is a cathedral and town hall, along with a couple small museums and a stately hotel.

Our main draw to visit the city was its art gallery, which houses a fine Vermeer.

Brunswick/Braunschweig is one corner of a triangle in Saxony that includes Hildesheim and Hannover. We added in excursions to Kassel and Celle for an interesting tour of the region over the 2006 Easter weekend. We went everywhere my train. From Hildesheim to Braunschweig a single ticket cost 7.60 euro for a journey that took 45 minutes. From Braunschweig on to Kassel on the high speed ICE train cost 38 euros for a trip that lasted 1 hour 15 minutes.

We also made a brief excursion from Brunswick to neighbouring Wolfenbuettel with its intact collection of half-timbered buildings and ducal schloss. A hop on the train only took 10 minutes and cost 2.60 euros.

• Last visit to Braunschweig: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2007

• Childish's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 7:42 AM

I had a great time in Niedersachsen, so, it was nice to come back there thanks to your pages.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Glad to hear you have been to Braunschweig and had such a good time there. I'm afraid I missed that Vermeer when I was there two weeks ago, but I went to the opera and also did lots of cycling.

jayhawk2000

“The only Kansas farmboy to ever subscribe to Utne Reader”

Badges & Stats in Braunschweig

Have you been to Braunschweig?

Latest Activity in Braunschweig