"Braunschweig" Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig by jayhawk2000
Braunschweig Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 553 photos
Originally a clutch of about a half dozen villages in an island in the river, these settlements merged over the years to form the city of Braunschweig (Brunswick, in English). Each neighbourhood retains its parish church, marketplace and guildhall.
At the centre is a cathedral and town hall, along with a couple small museums and a stately hotel.
Our main draw to visit the city was its art gallery, which houses a fine Vermeer.
Brunswick/Braunschweig is one corner of a triangle in Saxony that includes Hildesheim and Hannover. We added in excursions to Kassel and Celle for an interesting tour of the region over the 2006 Easter weekend. We went everywhere my train. From Hildesheim to Braunschweig a single ticket cost 7.60 euro for a journey that took 45 minutes. From Braunschweig on to Kassel on the high speed ICE train cost 38 euros for a trip that lasted 1 hour 15 minutes.
We also made a brief excursion from Brunswick to neighbouring Wolfenbuettel with its intact collection of half-timbered buildings and ducal schloss. A hop on the train only took 10 minutes and cost 2.60 euros.
The friendly hostess took time from serving to chat away with us in English. It turns out she is from Montenegro, and... more travel advice
These days it is a suburb of Braunschweig, a 10-minute jaunt from the Hbf, but Wolfenbuttel's royal pedigree shines... more travel advice
jayhawk2000's Related Pages
Braunschweig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braunschweig, my home for now"
- "Opera and cycling in Braunschweig"
- "Of hearts and lions - Braunschweig"
- "Brewery or history?"
- "Braunschweig - a powerhouse of medieval Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braunschweig
- Hotels in Braunschweig
- Transportation in Braunschweig
- Nightlife in Braunschweig
- Restaurants in Braunschweig
- Shopping in Braunschweig
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Braunschweig
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Braunschweig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braunschweig
Photos in BraunschweigSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lindos Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 20 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Exeter Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos