"My Second Home" Port Charlotte by gaolei
Port Charlotte Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 30 photos
I had a second house built here in 2004. This will be my getaway house and, eventually, a retirement home. The house is on a salt water canal in the Gulf Cove region. My boat is sitting in its lift behind the house, waiting for me to take it fishing.
Port Charlotte is typical of small American cities, it has no real identifying features. The city has all the usual stores, Wal-mart, two Home Depots, TGIF, Olive Garden, you know, all the chain stores. It is primarily a waterfront home to snowbirds, like me.
What it does have is good salt water access and fishing. It also has good weather all year, especially in the winter, when I would be freezing in RI. And, up until the last 3 years, it had nice homes for reasonable prices. The real estate market has driven prices up dramatically on waterfront property making them out of the average persons grasp.
My home is in the South Gulf Cove area. It is an area with many man made canals that allow quick water access for the homes on their banks. My home is one of them.
The local city advertises the area as the fishing capital of Florida. You can fish in the canal behing your home, the Myaka river, the Port Charlotte harbor, Boca Grande pass, and the Gulf of Mexico. This area is also the home to the Tarpon, one of the top game fish in the USA.
The canals have all kinds of interesting things living in them. I have seen sharks, alligators, dolphins, game fish and manatees behind my house. Swimming is not encouraged here. If you want to swim, go down to the Gulf.
- Pros:Good fishing, weather and people
- Cons:Not many distinguishing features
- In a nutshell:It is a great place to live.
The ultimate Tarpon fishing area is Boca Grande Pass. This is where the Port Charlotte harbor empties into the Gulf of... more travel advice
The El Jobean Depot Restaurant (not Spanish pronounced El Joe Bean) looks like, well, a dump. It has a large cold beer... more travel advice
gaolei's Related Pages
Port Charlotte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Second Home"
- "Cuban Fishing Village Turned Retirement Mecca"
- "Dunno Why...But I love it Here"
- "I don't know why they live here... but they do."
- "Hit by Charley"
- "Port Charlotte"
- "The Peace River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Charlotte
- Hotels in Port Charlotte
- Restaurants in Port Charlotte
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Charlotte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Charlotte
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Port Charlotte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Charlotte
Photos in Port CharlotteSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Shanghai Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Pattaya Intro, 24 reviews, 36 photos
- Shenzhen Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 22 reviews, 14 photos
- Harbin Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Westerly Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Port Charlotte Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Beijing Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Vientiane Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Kanazawa 3 reviews, 11 photos