"Not the edge of the Earth, but you can see it here" Turkmenbashi by gaolei
Turkmenbashi Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Turkmenbashi on the Caspian Sea is named for the Turkmen "President for Life". He has designated this city as the city of the future in Turkmenistan. It is the former Krasnovodsk.
Turkmenbashi city is in a bowl near the sea. You enter the city from the high desert near the airport through a cut in the Cliffs. The cut was made by Japanese soldiers during the Second World War.
At the bottom of the cut, you get the first view of the old refinery area. This decaying refinery was built by the Russians. It looks like an environmental disaster in the making.
Further down the road is the new Japanese plastic processing refinery. Yes, they are back after 50 years.
Due to the mistake of my host company in Turkmenistan, I missed the flight on the Yak-40 to Turkmenbashi. Instead, they decided to send me on the 4 hour ride in a BMW with a Russian driver across the desert to beautiful Turkmenbashi on the Caspean Sea. Well, it actually took 7 hours at up to 100 MPH over both good and bad roads. It is nearly 600 Km from the capital, Ashgabad.
One of many perils along the way is the camels. They walk on the road without regard for their safety and yours. After dark, they like to sleep on the road.
- Pros:Actually a nice quiet city on the Caspean Sea
- Cons:At the edge of the Earth!
- In a nutshell:Don't beleave the Russian travel sites, it's not a tourist destination.
gaolei's Related Pages
Turkmenbashi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not the edge of the Earth, but you can see it here"
- "Go Turkistan"
- "Nothing here for tourists"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turkmenbashi
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Turkmenbashi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turkmenbashi
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: Narita - 6-hour layover"
- updated a Turkmenbashi Travel Page "Not the edge of the Earth, but you can see it here"
- Wrote a Review Wild Nights near the Caspean Sea in Turkmenbashi Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Not the edge of the Earth, but you can see it here"
Top 10 Pages
- Shanghai Intro, 31 reviews, 54 photos
- Pattaya Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
- Shenzhen Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Harbin Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Westerly Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Port Charlotte Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Beijing Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Vientiane Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Kanazawa 3 reviews, 11 photos