"Saint Louis- Missouri" Saint Louis by Hosell
Saint Louis Travel Guide: 1,145 reviews and 2,009 photos
The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park was established on the banks of the Mississippi River, on December 21, 1935, to commemorate the westward growth of the United States between 1803 and 1890. Cost for the $30 million national monument was shared by the federal government and the City of St. Louis.
The park features the Gateway Arch, designed by architect Eero Saarinen who won the design competition in 1947. The stainless steel structure rises 630 feet high from a 60-foot foundation and spans 630 feet at ground level. Its classic weighted catenary curve sways 1/2" - 1" in 20 mph wind. Construction on the nation's tallest memorial began in 1961 with the "topping out" in 1965 and dedication in 1966.
The floor plan of the Underground Visitor Center follows a circular pattern with galleries depicting a 100-year span of westward expansion and the Tucker Theatre. Additional attractions include two passenger trams to the observation room at the top and the Museum of Westward Expansion.
Visitors to the Gateway Arch can step back in time and savor the past at Levee Mercantile. The 1870s style riverfront general store is located in the Visitor Center beneath the Arch. Many food products selected for Levee Mercantile feature Missouri artisans who use traditional recipes and time-honored production methods.
Join Gateway Arch Riverboats for one of its spectacular Mississippi River sightseeing cruises. Narrated by seasoned riverboat captains, these scenic cruises recapture the vibrant life upon the river at the peak of the steamboat era. Historic ports of call along the Mississippi's banks, lively river characters from Mark Twain to Louis Armstrong and famous river tales are all brought to life in the course of a delightful, hour-long journey up the river and back through time. Don't miss out on downtown St. Louis' most unique entertainment !!!.
- Pros:Beautiful city!
People who visit Lambert's Cafe for the first time are invariably amazed at the generous portions served on each order.... more travel advice
This is a picture taken at main entrance at Bass Pro.My friends and me during our visit to Springfield.If you like... more travel advice
Hosell's Related Pages
Saint Louis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Louis Has Many Surprises, for Everyone!"
- "The Symbols of the City"
- ""Meet Me In St. Louis" is Not Just a Song Title"
- "Saint Louis"
- "My Home Town"
- "The Gateway to East Central Missouri"
- "St. Louiis - Gateway to the Wild Wild West"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Louis
- Hotels in Saint Louis
- Transportation in Saint Louis
- Nightlife in Saint Louis
- Restaurants in Saint Louis
- Shopping in Saint Louis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Louis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Louis
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Saint Louis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Louis
- updated a Saint Louis Travel Page "Saint Louis- Missouri"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The only home of throwed rolls!"
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Re: Comments of Ideal Youth..."
- Commented on one of deecat's Saint Louis travel pages
- Wrote a Review The only home of throwed rolls! in Saint Louis Restaurants
Photos in Saint LouisSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 80 reviews, 124 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 78 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benidorm Intro, 61 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Marbella Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 36 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos