"Gambia" Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia by traveldave
The Gambia Travel Guide: 813 reviews and 1,819 photos
Gambia is a long, narrow English-speaking country which projects like a thorn from the Atlantic Ocean into the heart of French-speaking Senegal. It is becoming an increasingly popular vacation destination for Europeans seeking sunshine and warmth during the cold European winter.
The area that is now Gambia was originally settled by two different peoples who migrated from other parts of West Africa, the Wolof and Mandinka. Both languages are still spoken by their respective tribe members, in addition to English. The Wolof were the first to inhabit the area around the Gambia River, and the Mandinka came later, bringing Islam with them from what is now Mali.
In the 1400s, Europeans, led by Portugal, began exploring the West African coast. The Portuguese established trading posts along the coast, trading in gold, slaves, and other commodities. The Gambia River got its name from the Portuguese word cambio, which means "exchange" or "trade."
Eventually Gambia was colonized by the British. It became a protectorate in 1820, and a full British colony in 1886. Gambia was a small and unimportant part of the vast British Empire. Therefore, there was little investment in infrastructure or the economy. The only commodity the colony produced was peanuts. In 1965, Gambia became independent. And although peanuts are still an important part of the country's economy, tourism is becoming more important.
I went to Gambia as part of a two-week birdwatching trip to Gambia and Senegal. I visited the Banjul area, the Abuko Nature Reserve, Pirang Forest Park, Janjangbureh, Bansang, and Tendaba. Although birdwatching was the focus of my trip, I was still able to take some pictures of the local landscape and attractions.
Fort Bullen was constructed by the British between 1820 and 1830 to protect the mouth of the Gambia River, and to... more travel advice
About 80 percent of Gambia's population relies on local agriculture. The land surrounding every village is made up of... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
The Gambia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The perfect winter sun destination?"
- "The Gambia"
- "NATURE OF THE GAMBIA: palm wine days"
- "The smiling coast"
- "Gambia , Beautiful Gambia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Gambia
- Hotels in The Gambia
- Transportation in The Gambia
- Nightlife in The Gambia
- Restaurants in The Gambia
- Shopping in The Gambia
- Warnings and Dangers in The Gambia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Gambia
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to The Gambia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Gambia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue