"Senegal" Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal by traveldave
Senegal Travel Guide: 602 reviews and 1,490 photos
The area that is now Senegal was originally settled by two different peoples who migrated from other parts of West Africa, the Wolof and Mandinka. Both languages are still spoken by their respective tribe members, in addition to French. The Wolof were the first to inhabit the area, and the Mandinka came later, bringing Islam with them from what is now Mali.
In the 1400s, Europeans, led by Portugal, began exploring the West African coast. The Portuguese established trading posts along the coast, trading in gold, slaves, and other commodities. Over the years, however, the French slowly began to establish trading enclaves along the coast and their influence and power increased in the area. The Berlin Conference of 1884-1885 divided the African continent between the European powers. Most of western Africa was given to France and became the territory of French West Africa.
In the 1950s, independence movements began to arise in French West Africa. Although some African leaders supported the idea of a federation of all French territories in Africa, individual territories eventually became independent countries. Senegal became independent in 1960.
Nowadays, the French influence is still strong in Senegal. French is the official language, many French ex-patriots live in the country, French cuisine is featured in many restaurants, and French tourists flock to the country for its sunshine and pristine beaches.
My trip to Senegal was part of two-week birdwatching trip to Senegal and Gambia. My group entered Senegal from Gambia. We visited Kaolack, Saint-Louis, Richard Toll, and the wetlands of Djoudj National Park before returning to Gambia after a week in Senegal.
Bilharzia, also called schistosomiasis, is a common disease in Africa, including Senegal. It is caused by parasitic... more travel advice
The Hôtel du Djoudj is the only hotel located at the headquarters for Djoudj National Park. All other hotels and hostels... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Senegal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A visit with a cause: in progress!"
- "Salaam Aleikum"
- "Saagar's Senegal pages"
- "St. Louis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Senegal
- Hotels in Senegal
- Transportation in Senegal
- Nightlife in Senegal
- Restaurants in Senegal
- Shopping in Senegal
- Warnings and Dangers in Senegal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Senegal
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Senegal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Senegal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue