"Djibouti" Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti by traveldave
Djibouti Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 1,211 photos
I traveled to Djibouti in November 2007 as part of a birdwatching trip to Yemen and its island of Socotra. My group made a side trip to Djibouti specifically to see the Djibouti francolin, a partridge-like bird that is one of the rarest, most endangered, and most range-restricted birds in the world. (And I must admit, we also went for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see this rarely visited country).
Seeing the francolin involved driving around the Gulf of Tadjoura to the high mountains on the north shore of the gulf, and then camping in a primitive campsite in the Forêt du Day National Park. Along the way, we passed through rugged desert landscapes and black lava fields. Roadside overlooks along the highway provided spectacular views of the Gulf of Tadjoura, the Ghoubet-Kharab, and Lake Assal, the lowest point on the African continent. We also spent a short time in Djibouti City and its surrounding areas looking for more common east African birds.
The Decan Refuge was founded by veterinarian Bertrand Lafrance as a refuge for cheetahs that have been confiscated from... more travel advice
The Afar tribe, also known as the Danakil, is one of two main ethnic groups in Djibouti. They make up about 40 percent... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Djibouti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S HOT !"
- "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- "Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this"
- "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- "In A Different World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djibouti
- Hotels in Djibouti
- Transportation in Djibouti
- Nightlife in Djibouti
- Restaurants in Djibouti
- Shopping in Djibouti
- Warnings and Dangers in Djibouti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Djibouti
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Djibouti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djibouti
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue