"Djibouti" Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti by traveldave

Djibouti Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 1,017 photos

I traveled to Djibouti in November 2007 as part of a birdwatching trip to Yemen and its island of Socotra. My group made a side trip to Djibouti specifically to see the Djibouti francolin, a partridge-like bird that is one of the rarest, most endangered, and most range-restricted birds in the world. (And I must admit, we also went for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see this rarely visited country).

Seeing the francolin involved driving around the Gulf of Tadjoura to the high mountains on the north shore of the gulf, and then camping in a primitive campsite in the Forêt du Day National Park. Along the way, we passed through rugged desert landscapes and black lava fields. Roadside overlooks along the highway provided spectacular views of the Gulf of Tadjoura, the Ghoubet-Kharab, and Lake Assal, the lowest point on the African continent. We also spent a short time in Djibouti City and its surrounding areas looking for more common east African birds.

• Last visit to Djibouti: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2012

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2011 at 3:24 AM

What an excellent opportunity to visit such an off the beaten track country with Eritrea next door still having major problems and probably Somali pirates not so far away. hope theyre able to do something about the problem with their juniper bushes! Excellent photos and info - the Ghoubet-kharab sounds amazing - and seeing the francolin! No pics of them here for us?!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2011 at 5:17 AM

great tips!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM

An interesting page. So glad that you were able to see the Djibouti francolin, and four of them too! that must have been exciting, as well as seeing all the other wildlife in the area.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2008 at 8:08 PM

What an interesting page. It's funny, I'm a birdwatcher and I'm into that 100 countries thing too. I guess we must be twitchers by nature.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 10:36 AM

I love to visit off-the-beaten-path places like this so I really enjoyed your excellent photos and interesting information on Djibouti! You really visited a lot of amazing sites, so thank you for this peek into an almost forgotten country!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Wow Dave! What an adventure for you. Those huts sure look primitive, but at least you were off the ground.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 6:43 AM

What a diversity in Djibouti. Enjoyed a virtual tour. So much more than I have expected. Cheers, SL :)

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 5:30 AM

Good to see some of your pics of your last trip! I liked all of them and is interesting to know that the city of Djibouti was founded by a catalan man!!! glad to know that you had a nice time there!!!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Great page on Djibouti, David! Such an exotic country and very interesting for travellers like you. The Decan Refuge and Forêt du Day National Park look very attractive. Thanks for sharing!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Such an informative, interesting group of pages, David. Enjoyed learning about the Afar Tribe, Decan refuge, National Park. Such interesting facts about the people, the history, etc.

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Djibouti

Have you been to Djibouti?

Latest Activity in Djibouti