"Yemen" Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen by traveldave
Yemen Travel Guide: 1,095 reviews and 4,028 photos
I traveled to Yemen in November 2007 on a birdwatching trip that was organized by a friend. Southwest Arabia has many birds that are endemic to the region, meaning that they are found nowhere else in the world. In addition, the ranges of several species of African birds include parts of Yemen, and this is the only region in all of Asia where these birds can be seen. Our trip was successful in that we saw all the birds that are special to this area. But in addition to the birdwatching, we enjoyed Yemen's spectacular mountain and desert scenery, its amazing architecture, and fascinating culture.
Our trip took us to many parts of Yemen, including the capital city of Sana'a, the exotic and little-visited island of Socotra, the historic and chaotic city of Ta'iz, Hodeidah and the Tihama coast, the town of Mahweet perched on the sharp crest of a mountain ridge, and the fortress town of Kawkaban high atop a cliff.
Yemen is occasionally in the news when tourists are kidnapped or killed outright. I considered this before going, but knowing that I might never again have the opportunity to visit this exotic land, I decided to take the risk. As so often happens, I found that Yemen is not a dangerous country despite the sensationalism reported in the press. The people I met were very friendly and hospitable, and I encountered no hostility about the fact that I am American. Yemen is definitely worth visiting
One of the most impressive sights in Ta'iz is al-Qahera Castle, also known as Cairo Castle. Perched precariously on a... more travel advice
The Red Sea is one of the richest fishing grounds in the world, and abounds with such fish as barracuda, bonito, dorado,... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Yemen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yemen - the real Arabia"
- "YEMEN* THE LAND OF QUEEN SHEBA * YEMEN"
- "Map of Yemen"
- "YEMEN - Old and Historical"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yemen
- Hotels in Yemen
- Transportation in Yemen
- Nightlife in Yemen
- Restaurants in Yemen
- Shopping in Yemen
- Warnings and Dangers in Yemen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yemen
- 31 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Yemen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yemen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue