"Yemen" Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen by traveldave

Yemen Travel Guide: 1,093 reviews and 4,021 photos

I traveled to Yemen in November 2007 on a birdwatching trip that was organized by a friend. Southwest Arabia has many birds that are endemic to the region, meaning that they are found nowhere else in the world. In addition, the ranges of several species of African birds include parts of Yemen, and this is the only region in all of Asia where these birds can be seen. Our trip was successful in that we saw all the birds that are special to this area. But in addition to the birdwatching, we enjoyed Yemen's spectacular mountain and desert scenery, its amazing architecture, and fascinating culture.

Our trip took us to many parts of Yemen, including the capital city of Sana'a, the exotic and little-visited island of Socotra, the historic and chaotic city of Ta'iz, Hodeidah and the Tihama coast, the town of Mahweet perched on the sharp crest of a mountain ridge, and the fortress town of Kawkaban high atop a cliff.

Yemen is occasionally in the news when tourists are kidnapped or killed outright. I considered this before going, but knowing that I might never again have the opportunity to visit this exotic land, I decided to take the risk. As so often happens, I found that Yemen is not a dangerous country despite the sensationalism reported in the press. The people I met were very friendly and hospitable, and I encountered no hostility about the fact that I am American. Yemen is definitely worth visiting

• Last visit to Yemen: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2012

Travelogues (1)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I’m always in favor of travelling for a purpose, so I was glad to learn that you went to Yemen for bird watching. Having a strong interest like that can get you into some fascinating and unusual places, and you certainly saw and learned a lot in Yemen. – A fascinating page!

• witness_wannabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM

It happens, that dragon blood tree is found in quite a few other places in the world. Example: very popular Canary Islands. Cheers!

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Terrific tips and insight into Yemen - thanks Dave. I'm a keen birder too, particularly of African birds. Congratulations on the success of your visit.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2008 at 2:41 AM

I would love the fishing villages & the harbours = nice page

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Great tips with detailed descriptions.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 3:29 AM

What a fantastic trip this must have been Dave. Loved it! Especially Al-Qahera Castle, Socotra and the fishing village of Qalansiyah. I also found interesting about the Jambia - now that's a knife!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Fabulous 5-star pages, Dave. The customs were so interesting. Great Hotel tips. Your tips are always detailed, informational, and insightful.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Very interesting and detailed page! I know very few about this country and never thoght to visit it. Your page shows it as a very attractive place especially I liked al-Qahera Castle. Kawkaban looks very scenic. Thanks David for the virtual tour!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2007 at 5:29 PM

An absolutely fascinating page. Yemen certainly looks intriguing. Your page was sparked my interest in future travels there.

• crewrower's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 4:53 AM

So many under construction tips ~ want to hear your views on Yemen!

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Yemen