"Honduras" Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras by traveldave

Honduras Travel Guide: 1,513 reviews and 4,253 photos

I went to Honduras in March 2008 on a birdwatching trip. This was the first organized birdwatching tour to Honduras; most other tours go to more well-known and well-birded Costa Rica or Guatemala. Although there are hundreds of species of birds to see in Honduras, the main reason to go there is to see the endemic Honduran emerald, a hummingbird that is found in just a couple of arid valleys in the country's interior. This bird can be seen nowhere else in the world. In the Aguán Valley, we easily found several Honduran emeralds, including a female on a nest.

We also went birdwatching throughout the country to cover as many different habitats and to see as many species as possible. Our itinerary took us to Tegucigalpa, La Tigra National Park, Lake Yojoa, Cerro-Azul Meámbar National Park, Tela, the Lancetilla Botanical Gardens, Pico Bonito National Park, the Aguán Valley, and San Pedro Sula.

Although this was primarily a birdwatching trip, I did manage to take pictures of some of the sights and attractions along the way that would be of interest to travelers in general

• Last visit to Honduras: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2012

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 5:15 AM

Great tips and photos from Honduras! I plan to visit next year and Pico Bonito National Park and the Lancetilla Botanical Gardens are places I want to visit.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM

It looks like you had an interesting time in Honduras! Those are great National Park tips and I especially liked Pico Bonito. Quite a mix of accommodations you experienced - lots of variety!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Very interesting and captivating page on Honduras. The Pico Bonito National Park looks breathtaking and the Lancetilla Botanical Gardens looks like a spot not to miss. Did you get a sighting of that rare hummingbird?

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2008 at 2:52 AM

You have captured beautiful landscapes & lakes here - Nice to know they have tourist police here too

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 12:06 PM

It must have been a fabulous birdwatching trip, David! I hope you enjoyed La Tigra National Park and Lake Yojoa. There must have been a lot of successful photo shots of birds. Thanks for sharing!

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2008 at 6:55 AM

I didn't know very much about Honduras,but for your pics I can see that is a beautiful country! I sp. liked your pics at Tegucigalpa and all those National Parks,yes it is the real jungle! Great Page Dave!!!

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Honduras

Have you been to Honduras?

Latest Activity in Honduras